Stu­dents gather Friday evening at Haydn Park to look through tele­scopes
| Flickr

The physics department, along with the Society of Physics Stu­dents hosted a tele­scope night on Friday, Oct. 1. 

The event was open to the com­munity, so long as attendees could nav­igate their way back to the tele­scope area in the dark. 

Behind the baseball field, a 10-inch New­tonian Reflector on a German Equa­torial mount was set up and con­trolled by two laptops on a small plastic table. About 20 minutes into the event, the stu­dents and Lec­turer Henry Thurston had the tele­scope ready for people to see Jupiter.

“We mostly looked at Jupiter and Saturn,” Thurston said. “When viewing Jupiter, the colored bands, red spot, and the four Galilean moons were visible. Nat­u­rally, the most stunning feature of Saturn was the rings which were clearly visible.”

The atten­dants con­sisted of pro­fessors, stu­dents, and a number of Lori Andaloro’s fifth-grade class from Hillsdale Academy. The stu­dents took a break from their intense game of in-the-dark tag to look through the tele­scope, often having to be held up or bal­anced on chairs in order to reach the eyepiece. 

“This became an oppor­tunity not only for physics and non-physics stu­dents to view some of our planets and stars, but also to help put awe and a sense of inspi­ration in the people who came,” senior Alex Dulemba said. “We can read about things like this in a book, online, or learn about it in class, but to be able to go out and see it for yourself, it truly is some­thing different.” 

“Attending a smaller event with a wider variety of people than the standard student crowd felt like a good change of pace,” freshman Madison Asher said.

Hillsdale’s rural area elim­i­nates major light pol­lution allowing for a clearer view of the stars.  With the assis­tance of the Hillsdale physics department, more Friday night tele­scope events can be held in the future, according to Dulemba.