The Chargers swim team swims in their first meet last weekend.
(Christian Yiu | Collegian)

The swim team took home a win against Indiana Wes­leyan Uni­versity at their first meet of the season with a final score of 125 – 78 this past Sat­urday, Oct. 2.

Head Coach Kurt Kirner said he was sat­isfied with his team’s per­for­mance this past weekend, but the com­pe­tition was challenging.

“I thought we did well for where we are in the season,” Kirner said. “Indiana Wes­leyan has really stepped up its game. We handled them just fine this meet, but they have a little bit more depth and they did a nice job of pushing us to times that we needed to be at.”

Freshman Lily Gol­laday said it was exciting to see everyone’s performances.

“Everyone was really involved and there was no sitting down, really,” Gol­laday said. “Everyone was on the side of the pool cheering. It was a really great experience.”

The chargers began the meet with a win in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:52.94 against Indiana Wesleyan’s 1:55.39. The Chargers’ team con­sisted of sophomore Car­oline Holmes on back­stroke, freshman Emma Dickhudt on breast­stroke, freshman Megan Clifford on but­terfly, and junior Marie Taylor on freestyle.

Four Hillsdale swimmers won indi­vidual events. Junior Leah Tunney topped the 200 free and 100 back events at 1:58.97 and 1:00.27 respec­tively. Taylor won the 50 free (25.15) and 100 free (54.76) heats. Freshman Joanna Burnham, in her col­le­giate swimming debut, came in at the top of the 200 I.M. (2:15.51) and the 100 breast (1:10.73). Clifford won the 100 fly heat with a time of 58.92, which Kirner said was a promising swim.

“Megan has the capa­bility by the end of the season to take down the school record in the 100 fly,” Kirner. 

The current record sits at 56.45 and was set in 2009.

Though it’s still early in the season, Kirner said the freshmen have already given a lot to the team.

“They add a dimension that we need in terms of their respective strokes and what they can add to the team, so that’s great,” Kirner said.

Holmes said she was encouraged by the way the team opened the season.

“We had a tough week just with getting back into the swing of things,” Holmes said. “All in all, I think people really just put that aside and just decided to go and race. It was great to start with a dub. We’re a strong team and this just proves that.”

Gol­laday said she’s looking forward to what the season will bring.

“I think as the season goes on, we’re going to get a lot stronger, both phys­i­cally and as a team,” Gol­laday said.

Kirner said this meet pro­vided a good starting point for the team and the win gave him con­fi­dence that they will con­tinue to be strong com­petitors in the conference.

Their next com­pe­tition is a relay meet against Malone Uni­versity on Oct. 16.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do for us to be able to defend a title,” Kirner said. “It’s going to be no cakewalk.”