Crime Scene, Courtesy | Wiki­media Commons

Murders across the nation are up by 30%, according to Centers for Disease Control and Pre­ven­tion’s National Center for Health Sta­tistics — the largest increase since national records began tracking that data in 1960.

Pres­ident Joe Biden poured tril­lions of dollars into COVID-19 relief this year — all while 21,570 people were mur­dered in his streets. But the pres­ident still main­tains that bat­tling the pan­demic is “the single most important issue of [his] pres­i­dency.” Murder rates bagan increasing in the summer of 2020, around the same time that thou­sands of people began marching in the streets, protesting outside police sta­tions, pil­laging and burning busi­nesses — all in the name of social justice. These months are now referred to as  “the summer of rage.” 

The George Floyd case cat­alyzed mayhem on the streets of large met­ro­politan areas, specif­i­cally New York, Min­neapolis, Seattle, and Chicago. These cities pushed anti-police pro­pa­ganda, demanding to “defund the police.” 

In step with these riots, pro­gressive pros­e­cutors demanded leniency and no bail require­ments for crim­inals. Thou­sands of dan­gerous crim­inals were released to roam the unstable streets of America. To justify these harsh demands, many empha­sized the sup­posed nec­essary and drastic steps needed to avert sys­temic racism in America. 

However, trag­i­cally, minority com­mu­nities are suf­fering dis­portion­ality with this increase in crime and murders. While blacks account for less than 15% of the pop­u­lation, 55% of the murder victims in 2020 were black. 

These sta­tistics show that removing police funding and support did not solve the problem; in fact, it amplified it. Police officers are forced to do their jobs, while facing unfair blame for the alleged racial divide in America. Many officers have decided it’s not worth it. In Seattle, police res­ig­na­tions quadrupled and retire­ments doubled in 2020 alone. This shortage in the police force led to slower response time and more crime. 

Ulti­mately, the “defund the police” cry increased injustice throughout America: both against our police force and on the streets. 

Even as people are being killed at higher numbers across the nation, our gov­ernment has turned its full attention to the pan­demic, and placed full trust that the COVID-19 vaccine would lead to our “return to normal.” In Sep­tember, Biden announced that vac­cines would be man­dated for all busi­nesses employing more than 100 employees. If indi­viduals refuse the vaccine, they must submit them­selves to weekly tests. Com­panies that do not comply will face thou­sands of dollars in fines per employee. In his address to the nation, Biden said, “We’ve been patient, but our patience is wearing thin, and your refusal has cost all of us.” 

So, as crim­inals are released with no bail requirement, com­panies whose employees decide to exercise their own lib­erties and not get the vaccine will be fined. 

According to our pres­ident, these indi­viduals will “cost us all,” but he says nothing about the cost of the 30% murder spike, the increase in crime, and hatred towards our police. Where is the national address on that?

We desire a “return to normal” and our gov­ernment answers by forcing the vaccine. This is not normal. What about the once-held normal of peace and pro­tection on our streets? Why is the gov­ernment not dis­cussing this? As a nation, we must redirect our focus. As cit­izens, we must exercise the freedom of indi­vidual choice and demand safety in our nation.