The Hillsdale College Orchestra is wel­coming parents to campus this weekend with its sym­phony orchestra per­for­mance in Christ Chapel. 

On Oct. 9 and 10 at 8 p.m. and 2 p.m. respec­tively, the orchestra will be per­forming a diverse reper­toire encom­passing clas­sical and modern pieces, and even movie scores. 

The concert will also feature the Spring 2021 Con­certo Com­pe­tition winner, junior Ethan Tong. Due to an abun­dance of winners last spring, Tong’s per­for­mance was delayed until the fall Parent’s Weekend. He will perform a Hin­demith Viola con­certo.  

“It doesn’t sound like a standard piece of music by, say, Beethoven or Mozart,” Tong said. “But Hin­demith is far from absurdist.” 

Junior Paul Trainor, a cellist in the orchestra, has par­tic­i­pated in the ensemble throughout the COVID-19 pan­demic and said he finally sees things shifting back to normal in this upcoming concert.

“Some of this music we’ve been working on for a year,” Trainor said. “Because of the pan­demic, a couple of con­certs have been can­celled and we just didn’t have enough rehearsals last year, so this is our oppor­tunity to finally revive some pieces like the Beethoven overture.”

All parents and fam­ilies are welcome this parents weekend. The concert run-time will be a little over an hour.

“Many of the stu­dents I know in the orchestra were top of their class in terms of skill, which lends to a near pro­fes­sional level of per­for­mance,” sophomore trom­bonist Jacob Carson said.

Tickets are free and can be reserved by calling 517 – 607-2848 or emailing [email protected]