The city expects to complete the process by the end of the week. Courtesy | Facebook
The city expects to com­plete the process by the end of the week. Courtesy | Facebook

The city of Hillsdale began its fall fire hydrant flushing on Monday, Oct. 4, and expects to com­plete the process by the end of the week. 

The process, con­ducted by the Board of Public Util­ities, helps the city provide optimal fire pro­tection by checking water flow and removing built up sediment. 

“The hydrant network pro­vides fire pro­tection to homes and busi­nesses. Keeping each hydrant in proper working order calls for regular main­te­nance,” according to a BPU press release. “Each spring and fall, BPU per­forms a pre­ventive action known as hydrant flushing, which ver­ifies the system has ade­quate water flow. It also serves a sec­ondary purpose in removing sed­iment that nat­u­rally accu­mu­lates in water mains. Flushing it out of the system helps uphold the high water stan­dards the city strives to maintain.” 

Most res­i­dents should not expe­rience drops in water pressure, and if one occurs, it should be brief, according to the BPU. 

Potential water dis­col­oration should also be tem­porary and is not harmful, according to the city. 

“The flushing process can stir up sed­i­ments and min­erals in the water mains, which could occa­sionally result in some short-term cloudy water con­di­tions,” the press release read. “The tem­porary dis­col­oration only affects the appearance of the water and does not pose any health risk. If you expe­rience dis­colored water, flushing cold water from the tap for a few minutes until the water is clear again should alle­viate this condition.”

There is no detailed schedule of when each hydrant will be flushed, but ques­tions can be directed to the Hillsdale Board of Public Util­ities at 517 – 437-3387. 

The city also issued a tem­porary street closure alert for North Howell Street, between Bacon and McCollum streets as the BPU replaces service lines. The closure began Monday, Oct. 4 and is expected to last through Friday, Oct. 8. 

“The City of Hillsdale will have detour signage posted to route traffic around this project,” a press release stated. 

The BPU encouraged res­i­dents to not let the road clo­sures interfere with sup­porting local businesses. 

“We encourage the com­munity to con­tinue to patronize our downtown business in this area during this time, as they will remain open despite the street being closed to traffic. Many have back entrances facing the Midtown Parking Lot that can be used for access.”