Cimpeanu, Barstow set to compete in first ITA Cup in program history

Home Charger Tennis Cimpeanu, Barstow set to compete in first ITA Cup in program history

Brennan Cimpeanu (left) and Sean Barstow (right) are competing in the first ITA Cup in program history
Anthony Lupi | Collegian

For the first time in Hillsdale history, a Charger is competing in the ITA Cup.

Sophomore Brennan Cimpeanu won the ITA Midwest Regional, becoming the first G-MAC player ever to win the regional. Cimpeanu has a 17-3 singles record as a Charger, already winning G-MAC’s Tennis Player of the Week three times in his career. 

“I can’t explain what an amazing feat it is,” Head Coach Keith Turner said. “It was the toughest Midwest Regional I’ve seen since I’ve been a coach here. I was extremely impressed.”

Additionally, Cimpeanu will be playing doubles at the ITA Cup with fellow sophomore Sean Barstow. The ITA Cup begins Wednesday Oct. 13 to Monday Oct. 18 in Rome, Georgia. 

“Even though Brennan and I have not been playing doubles together for very long, we clicked right away.” Barstow said. “I think that his forehand and my net game work especially well together.”

The Troy, Michigan native, Cimpeanu said he has been playing tennis for 13 years, starting when he was just six years old.

Throughout his tennis career, Cimpeanu said that he has always kept a Christ-centered mindset

“Christ is who I base my life off of,” Cimpeanu said. “How I want to behave, I always just want to honor Him the most.”

Turner had high praise for Cimpeanu, calling him one of the nicest people that he’s ever met.

“He never has a negative word to say about anybody,” Turner said. “He is the perfect teammate and he’s extremely coachable. I am very happy that he has had this success this year because he deserves it.”

Barstow agreed with his coach,  and said that Cimpeanu brings a great attitude to both practices and matches. 

“He is always trying to encourage and bring up the team,” Barstow said. “Brennan’s very hardworking and positive, he’s also just a great guy on and off the court. 

Cimpeanu is a marketing major and said he came to Hillsdale for three reasons. 

“My sister was here first, so I got to be here with her for one year before she graduated,” Cimpeanu said. “The second reason was spiritual, and I get to grow in my faith. Academically, I loved how strong the school was, and I wanted to help the tennis program grow.”

Turner said Cimpeanu qualifying for the ITA Cup is an impressive feat. 

“We have a very talented team this year, but Brennan as a sophomore really stepped up with the amount that he played over the summer,” Turner said. “The schedule that he played before college is showing right now, and his qualifying for the ITA Cup was not easy.”