Meet Sam Waldvogel, Hillsdale’s youngest city board member

Home City News Meet Sam Waldvogel, Hillsdale’s youngest city board member
Sam Waldvogel was appointed by the City Council this month.
Courtesy | Sam Waldvogel

Sam Waldvogel is currently the youngest person to serve on a Hillsdale city board. The City Council appointed Waldvogel to the Economic Development Corporation earlier this month. 

Waldvogel, 24, is a Hillsdale native and alumnus of Hillsdale Academy ’16 and Capital University in Ohio. After his graduation in 2020, Waldvogel began working as a financial advisor at Edward Jones. 

“This is the place I grew up and I’ve wanted to get more involved in the community,” Waldvogel said. “This is the town I intend to spend the rest of my life in once me and my fiance get married, so I want to try to help where I can.”

He said “it was worth a shot” when he saw the opportunity to join the EDC.

“I liked the idea that the EDC’s focus is on helping businesses that are here and bringing in new businesses to the community,” he said.

Waldvogel said his father inspired him to join the EDC due to his involvement in the community since he was young.

“My dad was an influence on me making this decision,” Waldvogel said. “Growing up he was always involved in Rotary Club and served on the BPU board for a while, and so I saw how involved he was in the community. I wanted to leave a similar impact.”

Waldvogel’s father, John Waldvogel ’91, said it was an excellent opportunity for Sam to begin to lay the foundations for future city leadership.

“For Sam, it’s a wonderful opportunity to help lay the framework for future economic growth and development for our city,” John Waldvogel said.

Mayor Adam Stockford said Waldvogel’s appointment is an indication of a positive direction for the community.

“At some point young people have to start getting involved with local government,” Stockford said. “If you wait too long you don’t get caught up on the institutional knowledge from the people that have been around for a while.” 

Stockford said interest in community leadership should be encouraged and rewarded.

“The way I have governed is that if someone makes the slightest effort to show interest through filing an application in City Hall, I have a place for them in government,” Stockford said. “There are plenty of opportunities to take ownership in this community. I think that’s what self government is all about. If you don’t like how we dig, then pick up a shovel, I’ll find a place for you.”