K-12 program panelists discuss mission, opportunities

Home News K-12 program panelists discuss mission, opportunities
Student at Hillsdale Academy reads a book. | Facebook

The Hillsdale K-12 program discussed their mission, history, and opportunities for students at an informational panel on Sept. 9.

The K-12 program houses all the college’s work in K-12 education. This includes the Barney Charter School Initiative, the education department at the college, and curriculum production for private, charter, and, soon, homeschool education, according to Assistant Provost for K-12 Education Kathleen O’Toole.

“We’re involved in education because we believe in liberal education, the education that makes human beings free,” O’Toole said. “Education is increasingly happening in a situation in which teachers have already made up their minds about what students need to think at the end of the class, and students, I think, are going to be suffering because of that.”

The college’s efforts in K-12 education began with the establishment of Hillsdale Academy in the early 1990s. Mike Roberts, assistant headmaster at the academy, said the school aims to provide an example of excellent education to all the other schools in the K-12 program.

“Our mission is to serve these young people and to nurture them in mind, body, and spirit, preparing them for whatever is next,” Roberts said. 

Many factors contribute to effective K-12 education, Roberts said, but one of the most important is quality educators. The academy seeks skilled staff to be a part of its team.

“They know their subjects and they love to learn,” Roberts said. “Even the ones that have been there for over 20 years continue to study, continue to learn, and then they bring that joy to the classroom.”

O’Toole said student-teacher relationships are prioritized in the K-12 program.

“The teacher is the person who leads the students on a journey which we hope is true education, which makes the student someone who is not only knowledgeable but virtuous by the end of it,” O’Toole said.

Students at the college can get involved in education in a number of different ways, including through pursuit of the classical education minor. Assistant Professor of Education Benjamin Beier said the minor includes classes in the seven liberal arts, a philosophy of education course, and an apprenticeship opportunity at the academy.

“It’s something of a student teaching sort of class,” Beier said. “You actually get to observe real classical schooling, maybe even have a chance to try your hand a little bit.”

Students can also participate in multiple education-oriented GOAL programs, such as tutoring at public and private schools, buddy reading, and career planning with high school students.

“It’s a really good way for you to try on teaching in a lower stakes environment,” said Lecturer in Education Jonathan Gregg. 

Gregg also said experience in educational environments is vital for employment in education. 

“This is probably the biggest hole in most Hillsdale students’ resumes,” Gregg said.

Beyond the education minor and various GOAL programs, there are also internship opportunities in the K-12 education. This summer, sophomore Chris Dick worked at a Barney Charter School in Gallup, New Mexico. He taught summer school alongside a professional teacher.

“My favorite part of the internship was seeing some of the kids really engage with the material and improve,” Dick said. “I’ve always liked engaging with kids and improving their minds.”