Wiki­media Commons

Many Hillsdale stu­dents refuse to take the COVID-19 vaccine — but few of them have thought much about another popular drug that pumps syn­thetic hor­mones into bodies, courtesy of Big Pharma.

Let’s talk about birth-control pills.

Women can expe­rience infer­tility for two or more years after ending birth control, due to hor­monal dis­crep­ancies caused by harmful syn­thetic hor­mones like the shot Depo-Provera (or DMPA), which is most com­monly used by teenagers. Birth control is proven to cause blood clots and depression, according to the Cit­i­zen’s Petition for Hor­monal Con­tra­cep­tives, which was pub­lished by the Food and Drug Admin­is­tration. At its best, birth control is only 91% effective against preg­nancy, research con­ducted by Planned Par­enthood proves. Not to mention the countless other side effects and unforeseen risks like car­dio­vas­cular mor­bidity and mor­tality. An esti­mated 300 – 400 American women die from com­pli­ca­tions caused by con­tra­cep­tives per year, according to a sys­temic review of evi­dence com­piled from the 1960s to 2018.

Big Pharma has no problem injecting chem­icals into the general pop­u­lation — women have been encour­aging it for decades.

Don’t con­ser­v­ative virtue signal by rejecting the vaccine and accepting birth control. If you’re used to pumping syn­thetic hor­mones into your body, the vaccine is just another daily dose of vitamins. 

The newest inno­vation in birth control, Phexxi, is adver­tised as an “in the moment,” hormone-free method of birth control.

Opposed to hor­monal birth control, which dras­ti­cally alters chemical hormone levels in the body (causing headaches, acne, weight gain, stress, heart disease, or worse), non-hor­monal birth control sounds like a ground-breaking, safe alternative. 

It’s not.

There are still similar side effects with non-hor­monal birth control options. Women taking Phexxi have expe­ri­enced fre­quent urinary tract infec­tions, “vaginal burning, vaginal itching, vaginal yeast infection, urinary tract infection, vaginal area dis­comfort, bac­terial vagi­nosis, and vaginal discharge.” 

Hor­monal or non-hor­monal, neither option is safe. 

Birth control is easy, it’s acces­sible, and it claims low-risks and high rewards. But the only thing sep­a­rating it from the COVID-19 vaccine is — well — mil­lions of mur­dered babies. And a plethora of evi­dence-based risks and side effects proving that birth control is bad for your health.

Autonomy is a beau­tiful thing when exer­cised cor­rectly. If the same mouth that ingests hor­monal birth control spews con­tra­dictory rhetoric about the vaccine for its alleged “risks,” I can promise you one thing: Autonomy has failed you.