Privacy
Wiki­media Commons | Courtesy

It’s not every day someone’s dating life becomes a campus-wide topic of con­ver­sation. This week, I drew the short straw. 

At the top of my Instagram feed on Monday, I was greeted with a picture of me and my boyfriend reading on the quad. 

What made that scene picture-worthy? He had his arm around my shoulders. 

Scan­dalous! Out­ra­geous! Shameful!

But we weren’t the first victims. Beginning last week, the anony­mously-run Instagram account, @hillsdating, started posting pic­tures of couples from all around campus.

The pic­tures are all hyper-zoomed in, and most — to my knowledge — were taken without the couple’s knowledge.

Less than 24 hours after our picture was posted, campus reacted to the new page. The anonymous social media app Jodel and popular Hillsdale meme accounts picked up on the account and reposted its photos, cri­tiquing the account.

The backlash has been wide­spread and, as one of the page’s targets, much appre­ciated. The Hillsdank Times, a Col­legian spoof account, reposted the picture with the headline, “Shel­tered Con­ser­v­ative Shocked When Fellow Student Has a Girl­friend, Decides to Post on Instagram.” 

When stu­dents go to Hillsdale, we know we’re signing up for a small, and inevitably gossip-filled, campus. But stu­dents shouldn’t — and don’t — endorse such an obvious breach of privacy. No one should walk into the dining hall and overhear strangers talking about their per­sonal lives because of an anony­mously posted picture that was posted without consent.

I’ll be the first to call out PDA. But couples should feel com­fortable inter­acting nor­mally without fear of being stalked.

Hillsdale stu­dents should be the first to respect the privacy of others. The owner of the account should get off Instagram and go reread the Honor Code — or maybe get a Hillsdate them­selves. Some­thing tells me they’re lonely.

Elyse Hawkins is a sophomore studying pol­itics and jour­nalism and is an assistant editor.