The pro­posed ren­o­va­tions for Phase One
Courtesy | Hillsdale College Ath­letic Department

Fol­lowing a year of accom­plish­ments on the field, Hillsdale plans to take its ath­letics to the next level. From new fields, facil­ities, and a state of the art track, Charger ath­letics is entering into a new era known as “Phase One.”

Phase One of the Hillsdale College Outdoor Ath­letics Facility Improvement con­sists of both a new baseball and softball field, each equipped with turf and lights for evening games. The phase also includes a brand new track and field, which includes syn­thetic turf. The track and field will be available to not only the ath­letes, but to clubs and intra­mural teams as well.

“It’s going to help in a big way,” Tom Ves­sella, Hillsdale’s new baseball coach said. “First and foremost, it helps with recruiting, because as far as I’m con­cerned, we’re going to have the best baseball facility in the region.” “We’ll have an all field turf, so we can get more games in. We’ll have lights,we have a lot of things that other schools that we compete against aren’t going to be able to have.” 

Not only is Phase one going to elevate the ath­letics, but the coaches believe it will undoubtedly reflect the excel­lence that Hillsdale pursues.

“Plus it’s more of a reflection about what our school is about, you know your facil­ities are a reflection about what you’re trying to promote and every­thing that Hillsdale is about,”  Coach Ves­sella said.

Aside from the looks, the new facil­ities will improve the lives of ath­letes on and off the field. 

“The ren­o­va­tions have also been done with an eye towards enhancing the student-athlete expe­rience and pro­viding more flex­i­bility to make it easier to balance aca­demic and ath­letic respon­si­bil­ities,” James Gen­sterblum, Director of Ath­letic Com­mu­ni­ca­tions, said. “The addition of lights and syn­thetic turf at baseball and softball, for example, should mean less weekend rainouts pushing games into Mondays and Tuesdays, and more flex­i­bility to schedule later start times for weekday games and prac­tices to avoid afternoon classes. That should mean less missed class time for the baseball and softball teams overall.” 

Softball head coach Kyle Gross agrees that Phase One will benefit ath­letes on and off the field. 

“It will enhance the student athlete expe­rience here, and will be ideal for Michigan weather in spring,” softball head coach Kyle Gross said.

As ath­letes and stu­dents await the new facil­ities that Phase One has to offer, ath­letic director Don Baker is already looking ahead to Phase Two. 

“If phase one is as nice as our baseball, softball and outdoor track facil­ities, I can only imagine what he’s going to do in Phase Two,” Ves­sella said.