A staff member at the Wayne County Health Department pre­pares to admin­ister the COVID-19 vaccine to a patient. | Detroit Free Press

In the 1990 film “The Hunt for Red October,” Soviet sub­marine captain Marko Ramius defects to the United States in the thick of the Cold War with one of the USSR’s most pow­erful ships. 

During the har­rowing mission, Ramius’ co-con­spirator, Captain Borodin, dreams of arriving in the U.S. to enjoy freedom. “I will have a pick-up truck,” he says, “or pos­sibly even a recre­ational vehicle and drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?”

Ramius responds, “Oh yes.”

“No papers?” Borodin asks.

“No papers.” Ramius responds confidently.

No papers indeed. 

Last Thursday, Pres­ident Joe Biden man­dated that all federal employees and all employees of busi­nesses with more than 100 employees take the COVID-19 vaccine. “Our patience is wearing thin,” Joe Biden chided us. 

Some cities were ahead of Biden in man­dating the vaccine, requiring proof of vac­ci­nation to enter most indoor estab­lish­ments in the form of a digital QR code or a wallet-sized piece of paper. 

In Michigan, Biden’s mandate means about half of the state’s work­force must become vac­ci­nated or submit to weekly COVID-19 tests. Those who are vac­ci­nated must show their papers to prove it.

But even our ruling class can’t seem to con­vince itself of its dra­conian mea­sures. Just this Sat­urday, in a cer­emony hon­oring those killed in the ter­rorist attacks on 9/11, Demo­c­ratic politi­cians such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi duti­fully wore masks — until the cameras turned away. Then, mask-free and huddled together, the politi­cians were pho­tographed flouting their own COVID-19 protocols. 

On the cam­paign trail in 2020, Biden himself wasn’t con­vinced a vaccine mandate was per­mis­sible. “I don’t think it should be mandatory. I wouldn’t demand it be mandatory,” he said at an event in Wilm­ington, Delaware. 

If our rulers don’t believe in these man­dates them­selves, why should you? 

Biden and his admin­is­tration are forcing you to take a vaccine for a virus that has a less than one-half of a percent chance of killing young people. Those who are vac­ci­nated are, appar­ently, still at risk from those who aren’t, and in many cases, must still adhere to masking and social dis­tancing protocols. 

Politi­cians want school children muzzled all day while they hold their fundraisers and fashion galas, and they expect you not to notice. 

But many of you will be grad­u­ating this spring, myself included. And when you do, you will be uniquely equipped to defy these man­dates. Then, you will be released onto the job market young, healthy, and with an edu­cation most college stu­dents could only dream of receiving. Hillsdale stu­dents are in high demand. If each of us simply refuses to work for a business that requires its employees to be vac­ci­nated, busi­nesses might grow the backbone to skirt Biden’s rules. It is for this reason that I encourage fellow stu­dents entering the work­force to defy these man­dates — Biden’s rule is only as strong as our com­pliance makes it. 

If you are vac­ci­nated, refuse to show your papers and par­tic­ipate in the divisive charade being forced upon us. If you are unvac­ci­nated, do not become vac­ci­nated unless you have made the decision to do so out of your own free will, and not because a petty autocrat told you you must.

Hillsdale College stood against the COVID-19 man­dates from the beginning — when we held com­mencement for grad­uates in the summer of 2020 to when we held in-person classes during the fall 2020 semester.

Hillsdale College exposed bureau­crats for the spineless scare­crows they are by not com­plying, and you, as a soon-to-be-graduate of the college, can do the same. 

Defying Biden’s vaccine mandate will be hard. But after all, strength rejoices in the challenge.