While Hillsdale isn’t known for being a booming metropolis, the town is full of exciting des­ti­na­tions. If you’re a freshman looking to get out of the dorm or a senior who hasn’t explored the city yet, go visit these Hillsdale hotspots this weekend:

Silos Fun Park

Did you know you could go-kart in Hillsdale? At Silos, you can go-kart to your heart’s content, play a round of mini golf, chal­lenge your friends on bumper boats, win some tickets in the arcade, then hop over to Cottage Inn Pizza for a quick bite to eat (bonus: Cottage Inn has dairy-free and gluten-free options). 

Glei’s Orchards and Greenhouses

This family-owned orchard has a store in Cold­water, both with the best artisan food products, hon­ey­crisp apples, and incredible apple cider slushies. With home-grown straw­berries, blue­berries, and peaches, 20 vari­eties of apples, and Michigan-grown veg­etables, Glei’s is a dream in the fall. The orchard has pumpkins, gourds, and mini pumpkins during the fall months and Christmas trees during the winter months — you can even cut your own tree. Don’t forget freshly baked apple cider donuts from Glei’s bakery.

Enjoying the treats at Glei's orchard. Haley Strack | Collegian
Enjoying the treats at Glei’s orchard. Haley Strack | Collegian

Bou­tiques in downtown Hillsdale

Hillsdale’s lineup of clothing, gift, and food bou­tiques are sure to fulfill even the most picky shopper. The Salty Shark is a trendy, low-cost bou­tique with every­thing from wrap skirts to printed hoodies. Maggie Anne’s Shoppe carries Michigan-themed clothes, pro­fes­sional women’s wear, and Vera Bradley bags. Small Town Sweet Bou­tique is modeled after an old-time sweets store. You can also paint your own pottery at Toasted Mud.Hillsdale Natural Grocer is your go-to stop for organic produce and supplements. 

Fields of Dreams

Just two minutes from campus, Field of Dreams is rarely used by Hillsdale stu­dents. With two soccer fields, three baseball dia­monds, and a play­ground, the field is just waiting for stu­dents to enjoy all it has to offer. Grab a couple teams, head out to the field for a game of softball or baseball or kickball and see your dreams come true. 

Meckley’s Flavor Fruit Farm

Meckley’s is a short drive out of town, but there’s nothing better than sitting under the vines on an old-fash­ioned deck, sipping a hard cider. If you’re looking for a friend date or a romantic date, Meckley’s is the perfect blend of rustic and chic. Taste-test hand­crafted artisan ciders, fine wine, or if you’re under 21, nosh on fresh baked goods. Meckley’s offers fall music fes­tivals, a summer-long corn maze, a pumpkin patch, and family bonfire nights.