Masks
A masked student. Courtesy | Hillsdale Collegian

Former Pres­ident Ronald Reagan famously said that the nine scariest words in the English lan­guage are “I’m from the gov­ernment and I’m here to help.” Today, we know he was right.

Over the last year, our gov­ernment has con­di­tioned the American people to sur­render their freedom and moral con­vic­tions under the guise of public health and safety. The nation we once cher­ished as a stronghold for democracy has been dimmed by deception and will­fully wounded by Wash­ington elites. 

What started as a legit­imate national emer­gency quickly evolved into a post-apoc­a­lyptic political weapon that main­stream media con­glom­erates and many in the sci­en­tific com­munity used to stoke fear and churn chaos. At the same time, political oppor­tunists seized fun­da­mental rights that our nation has held dear since its inception. 

Mil­lions of Amer­icans were rel­e­gated, cen­sored, and removed from media plat­forms. Data that chal­lenged the “status quo” was quickly shot down as mis­in­for­mation. Business owners were forced to close their doors and many remain closed. Today, children con­tinue to be muzzled by com­pulsory masking in schools.

Amer­icans who refuse to be inoc­u­lated by the exper­i­mental COVID-19 vaccine are por­trayed as modern-day lepers. Busi­nesses are firing their employees, col­leges are denying enrollment, and cus­tomers are being refused service. 

Our leaders say they are “fol­lowing the science” and public health is their “top pri­ority,” yet they con­tinue to peddle deception with a deadly dose of hypocrisy. 

Last year, mil­lions of Amer­icans were forced to cancel their cel­e­bra­tions and wed­dings while former Pres­ident Barack Obama threw a birthday bash with more than 200 people at his Martha’s Vineyard mansion. Hair salons and bar­ber­shops were forced to shut their doors while Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi got her high­lights done. Amer­icans were forced to eat at home while Cal­i­fornia Gov. Gavin Newsom and New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy enjoyed five-star meals at fancy eateries. Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer was pho­tographed protesting in large crowds over the death of George Floyd, despite labeling anti-lockdown protests as deadly. 

In Seattle, vac­cines are incen­tivized by free mar­i­juana, in New York by free ham­burgers, and nationwide by free Krispy Kreme doughnuts, pizza, alcohol, and large sums of money. 

Worse than the absurdity of these vaccine incen­tives is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) latest guidance calling for vac­ci­nated Amer­icans to wear face masks. The science can’t go both ways. 

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky con­tinues to call the current sit­u­ation “a pan­demic of the unvac­ci­nated,” yet the majority of the unvac­ci­nated are sur­vivors with a long-lasting natural immunity, according to the National Insti­tutes of Health.

The American people deserve to know the truth without media malfea­sance and par­tisan pol­itics — they deserve the oppor­tunity to choose for them­selves what goes in their bodies without fear of job ter­mi­nation or mass segregation.