Construction continues on Hayden Park sidewalk

Home News Construction continues on Hayden Park sidewalk
Construction finished on the way to Hayden Park
Julia Leonard | Collegian

The school is in the process of constructing a sidewalk that will run from Hillsdale Street to Hayden Park. 

With foot traffic at Hayden Park increasing by 10 to 15% each year, college administrators said they saw a need to protect the park’s visitors by providing them with a safe place to walk, according to Chief Administrative Officer Richard Péwé.

On Aug. 31, a construction team poured its most recent section of fresh concrete for the new sidewalk near Hayden Park. 

Next week, they will move a power pole next to Olds Residence to make room for a retaining wall necessary for the sidewalk pouring, Péwé said.

Power generators at McIntyre Residence will provide Olds with electricity during the pole’s removal. College officials chose to put the sidewalk on the Olds side of the road because it is easier to build a retaining wall. 

The project, which began in July, was suggested to the deans a few years ago, Péwé said. They placed it on their radar last year for student protection.

“In the past, the students would walk up to the park and walk back,” Péwé said.  “There are a lot of students driving back and forth to Hayden Park… it’s a blind hill, but people walk on the road. When people are coming up that hill, they don’t necessarily know that there’s someone walking on the street. You don’t want students walking on the street anymore.” 

The city of Hillsdale will decrease the speed limit on Barber Drive from 35 to 25 miles per hour, as people currently drive up to 40 miles per hour on this road, Péwé said.

While no accidents have occurred thus far, the college does not want to take any chances, according to Director of Security William Whorley.

“Prevention is the best remedy,” Whorley said.

Whorley said that students who walk on the street should take proper precautions. 

“Wear light-colored clothing, walk against traffic, carry a small flashlight, especially after dusk, and step into the grass when an automobile approaches,” he said.

Students can also walk on the completed parts of the sidewalk that are not barricaded.

The new sidewalk will also benefit the greater Hillsdale community, as Hillsdalians can enjoy walking their dogs or running down the street, Péwé said.

Hayden Park is a beloved location for people to exercise and socialize, according to Hillsdale alumna and Olds Residence House Director Rachel Marinko ’20. She said she remembers visiting Hayden Park as a student to walk around the beautiful trails and to cross-country ski.

“I still spend time there today,” she said.

The school will monitor sidewalk maintenance throughout the year, and clean off the sidewalks during the winter, Péwé said.

The dam near Hayden Park is the last obstacle to the project’s completion, Péwé said. The path requires a bridge, yet the college still awaits approval from the Michigan State Department of Environmental Quality. As a result, he cannot give an estimated completion date.

He said the city of Hillsdale has been supportive throughout the entire project as the sidewalk will provide a safer passageway for the area.

“It keeps people off the street, and makes it safe,” Péwé said.