The American Flag | Pixabay

This Monday, col­leges across the country will cel­e­brate American workers by des­ig­nating Labor Day a school holiday — Hillsdale will not. 

Des­ig­nating Labor Day as a school holiday would increase stu­dents’ appre­ci­ation not only of the actual holiday but the staff of Hillsdale as well. 

Labor Day dates back to the 19th century, a time of poor working con­di­tions and weak labor rela­tions. Protests, strikes, and riots came to a head in 1894 when the workers from the Pullman Palace Car went on strike after cut wages and intense firings. Thanks to a wide­spread company boycott, Chicago traffic fell into chaos and national troops had to intervene. As a peace offering, Pres­ident Grover Cleveland signed Labor Day into law as a national holiday. 

Hillsdale should observe the holiday so stu­dents can reflect on the progress in worker’s rights and rep­re­sen­tation over time.

The staff of the college are the backbone of Hillsdale. From the cafe­teria to the class­rooms, Hillsdale College is packed with hard­working people who keep the college running smoothly and effi­ciently. Too often, stu­dents take for granted the incredible employees and fail to give them the appre­ci­ation they deserve. 

By setting aside a holiday and holding an event to cel­e­brate the staff, Hillsdale College could send a clear message to stu­dents and workers that Hillsdale appre­ciates the support of its staff and employees. 

Labor Day occurs at a strategic time of the year, a little less than two weeks after classes begin. Often early Sep­tember is when the reality of new classes sets in, as stu­dents settle on which classes will best fit their schedule. Many stu­dents are still switching classes or adjusting to school after the freedom of summer. Labor Day could be a mark of tran­sition, sep­a­rating the uncertain beginning of the semester from the stable routine of the next few months. 

And let’s be honest, who wouldn’t want an extra day off?