Campus dogs make ‘pawfully’ good friends

Home Features Campus dogs make ‘pawfully’ good friends
Codie loves attention from Simpson’s female visitors. Courtesy | Peggy Wilson
Codie loves attention from Simpson’s female visitors.
Courtesy | Peggy Wilson

Despite the busy life people begin when they step foot onto Hillsdale College’s campus, many students and staff members have made time for furry friends in their life. 

When graduate student Koty Arnold needs time away from his desk, he takes a stroll around campus with his dog, Stella, not far behind. 

Stella gives Arnold a great excuse to put off homework and enjoy a break, he said.

“It gives me a great excuse to procrastinate by walking her around campus and getting some fresh air while she exercises,” Arnold said. 

Stella brightens his day with her energy, and cheers up every person she comes in contact with. 

“She wants to love on every person that comes within striking distance of her,” Arnold said. “She tries to just bolt right at them even though she’s on a leash.”

Zac Ailes, a senior studying politics, describes how his dog, Penny, is a good distraction from schoolwork at times. 

“She is fun to hang out with,” Ailes said. “She comes on rides with me and goes with me up to the range.” 

Buying a house across campus has allowed Ailes to take care of Penny and introduce her to many of his friends. Penny loves going everywhere he goes, even if that is on campus. 

“She meets a lot of people that I visit with on a regular basis,” Ailes said.

It’s not just students who are enjoying the company of a furry friend. Simpson Dormitory reisdents gets to spend time with their dorm dog, Codie. Peggy Wilson, Simpson house director and Codie’s owner, said Codie brightens the day of many students living there. 

“It is great having Codie here,” Wilson said. “She enjoys the attention and the guys really like just stopping and giving her attention. I believe even just a quick pet makes the guys happy. She can do several tricks and the guys really enjoy watching her do them.” 

Wilson said it is not only Simpson residents that enjoy the presence of Codie, but many visitors of Simpson, as well. 

“Codie really likes it when girls come over and she gets some female attention because she gets so much guy attention,” Wilson said.

It may seem unusual for a freshman to move into his dorm and the first thing he sees in the lobby is a dog. Wilson said many students arriving at Simpson during check-in are glad once they find out a dog lives there. 

“During freshman check in Codie lays right in the lobby and greets all of the new guys,” Wilson said. “They are really excited there’s a dog that is here.”