Hillsdale College earned high rankings in The Princeton Review’s annual release of the top 386 uni­ver­sities and col­leges in the country. 

The review, which is based on surveys of 143,000 stu­dents across the nation, placed Hillsdale College in the top 20 of 12 sub­cat­e­gories related to aca­d­emics and student life, according to a press release from the college. 

“It is encour­aging to be included among this group of leading insti­tu­tions for yet another year,” said Christopher Van Orman, Hillsdale College provost. “It is a con­fir­mation that a true liberal arts edu­cation, one that focuses on forming suc­cessful, vir­tuous stu­dents and cit­izens, remains one of the best and most-desired edu­ca­tions among our nation’s young people.” 

Among the various cat­e­gories, Hillsdale scored espe­cially high in com­munity service, religion, and con­ser­vatism. Hillsdale was

Princeton Review ranked the Hillsdale Col­legian fifth in the nation.| Col­legian Archives

ranked as third for Most Con­ser­v­ative Stu­dents and third for Most Engaged in Com­munity Service, as well as seventh for Most Reli­gious Students. 

Hillsdale also ranked tenth for Pro­fessors Get High Marks, twelfth for Most Polit­i­cally Active Stu­dents, and fif­teenth for Best-Run Colleges.

The Hillsdale Col­legian was ranked as the fifth-best college news­paper for the second year in a row.

“The Col­legian is an excellent news­paper and it’s great to see the hard work of our jour­nalism stu­dents earn national recog­nition,” Dow Jour­nalism Program Director said.

Former Col­legian Editor-in-Chief Carmel Richardson ’21 said she was proud of the ranking, espe­cially given that it was such an unprece­dented year. 

“I’m really proud of the work that we did last year as a team and I know that espe­cially with the pan­demic and a volatile election cycle there was no shortage of inter­esting stories for us to write about,” Richardson said. “It was a good year, I’m really proud of the work that we did, and I think the ranking really reflects that.” 

Former news editor, Madeline Peltzer ‘21, said she was proud of the work the staff put in to achieve the fifth place ranking. 

“As news editor, I was in charge of not only the largest section of the Col­legian but also of the front page. My main goal was to ensure that we were cov­ering a wide variety of campus stories while they were fresh,” Peltzer said. “I also wanted to make A1 as visually inter­esting and aes­thet­i­cally-pleasing as pos­sible, so I had a lot of fun playing around with layout. I think we accom­plished both of these objec­tives and I’m so proud of the work the news team pro­duced last year.”