SkyWest Air­lines. | Flickr

This is an impas­sioned plea to ask everyone to stop trav­eling by plane and instead move to the freer and more com­fortable car. Road trips are the superior way to travel because you can avoid the uncom­fortable and soul-degrading processes of having to wear a mask for hours on end, the air­plane stew­ardesses peering down at you to make sure your “face cov­ering” covers your nose and mouth, and the gen­erally dismal spir­itual envi­ronment air­ports usually have. 

The airport: Thou­sands of people, masks cov­ering two-thirds of their faces, pass you, and it seems like you’ve stumbled into a new level of pur­gatory, where all you see are lonely eyes, peeping out under the mask, too afraid to show their face and see if you, too, are human. Not only do you spend hours without seeing someone’s full face, you are not sure they can even hear, with AirPods and head­phones cov­ering people’s ears as well. 

Even after making it through this ghastly level of pur­gatory, you must enter the actual air­craft, and do battle with the nagging stew­ardess keeping an eye on you to make sure you’re in com­pliance with the mask policy. Added to the general dis­comfort of flying, this makes a trip to the airport an absolute mistake. 

You may even see an American Air­lines flight attendant with a Black Lives Matter pin fas­tened to her uniform. How lovely. To con­tinue giving money to air­lines who have toed the line with their woke policies just so you shave off a couple hours of your time is surely not worth it. 

The spir­itual costs to trav­eling through an airport are suf­fi­ciently neg­ative to induce any rea­sonable person to stop flying. Spending that much time iso­lated by masks and ear­phones amongst thou­sands of people damages your soul, and one can only take so much of that damage before you are per­ma­nently hurt by it. But there are also pos­itive reasons for choosing a road trip instead. 

Road trips are a better way to spend time with family and friends, save money, and see America. Flying on a plane doesn’t lend itself to good con­ver­sation or rela­tionship-building the way that road-tripping does. Given the amount of people with AirPods and iPhones, stuck in their little corner of the air­craft, you barely get the chance to say hello. Now, with the masks firmly placed on our faces, you can barely hear their hello. 

Sure, in a car someone can hunker down and ignore you, but in that envi­ronment you get to choose who travels with you. If that’s the case, you’re going to choose people who you know, who will actually want to spend time with you while trav­eling. On an air­plane, you are sur­rounded by strangers. 

Second, driving is always a way to save money. Gas and food costs are usually cheaper than airfare. While road trips are more time-con­suming than flights, my advice is to take a few days off and make the trip. Your soul will be better for it. 

Finally, road-tripping pro­vides the oppor­tunity to see America. Cross-country roads trips have been the stuff of novels, movies, and popular culture for decades. Why not join the trend? You can not only do some­thing for liberty, but also be a part of popular culture. Flying on a plane causes you to miss the natural beauty of the U.S., while driving allows you to take the scenic route and see what America has to offer. 

Emma Cummins is a senior George Wash­ington Fellow studying politics.