Helping Hands pro­vides clothes to local res­i­dents | Sophia Berryhill

The Student Fed­er­ation used $288 of its $28,893 budget to buy raffle items for an upcoming phil­an­thropy event at its April 8 meeting.

The fed­er­ation bought Apple Airpods Pro and an Amazon Echo Dot, which will be raffled to raise money for Helping Hands Preg­nancy Resource Center.

Sophomore Beth Pot­war­dowski, the phil­an­thropy com­mittee chairman, said the fed­er­ation orga­nizes a phil­an­thropy event every year. Because of time con­straints at the end of the spring semester, the fed­er­ation decided to do a raffle this year.

“It’s a great oppor­tunity for the fed­er­ation to be more involved in com­munity service and to see that the work we do can not only impact the student body, but the wider city of Hillsdale as well,” Pot­war­dowski said.

The fed­er­ation voted to give members an extra day to research local char­ities before they voted on which charity would receive the pro­ceeds of the raffle.

“Many times, a charity can look good on the surface, but it may not be as effi­cient at han­dling finances as other orga­ni­za­tions,” said sophomore Regina Gavrok, an inde­pendent representative.

On Friday night the fed­er­ation voted to give the pro­ceeds from the raffle to the preg­nancy center.

“The resource center does a lot of great work in the com­munity,” Pot­war­dowski said. “Many stu­dents take the time to vol­unteer with them, but mon­etary dona­tions also con­tinue their support for pregnant mothers.”

Members of the fed­er­ation will be tabling in the student union until April 16 to sell raffle tickets. Raffle tickets will be $3 each or two for $5, Pot­war­dowski said.

The last Student Fed­er­ation meeting of the semester is April 22 at 7 p.m. in the Grewcock Student Union Formal Lounge. The Investment Club will be requesting funding.