Runny egg yolks are overrated: Avoid the sticky mess

Home Opinion Runny egg yolks are overrated: Avoid the sticky mess
A plate of fried eggs with toast. | Flickr

Easter is in three days, and there are better ways to celebrate than with runny yellow egg yolks.

Though the majority of egg-lovers probably prefer dippy egg yolks to pair with their carbohydrate of choice (I like a bagel), the highest disservice to said carb would be combining it with an undercooked egg yolk.

Why would you cook every part of the egg except the yellow spherical mass of fat and protein that resides in the center?

Take a simple, runny egg for example. You pop some bread in the toaster, and fry up the egg just enough to then pop the bubble of thick yellow liquid with a corner of toast. But as soon as you pop that yolk you have less than a nanosecond to consume it until the yolk is cold and spilled out over your entire plate. Not only is cold yolk unappetizing, but now your entire plate is yellow.

There are hundreds of different toast toppings that taste, feel, and even smell better than runny egg yolk. Butter, peanut butter, jelly, avocado, Nutella, cinnamon and sugar, banana, tomato, and cheese, just to name a few. I could go on. 

Some may favor the richness and consistency of liquid egg yolk, but I believe it feels like a conglomeration of chalk and glue, and makes a mess anywhere it goes. Instead, my rule of thumb is popping the yolk as soon as it hits the pan so that it cooks into the fried egg. You can pair that fried egg with anything you’d like, without the sticky mess. 

If you’re not a fan of plain egg yolks at all, then don’t worry, you can also use the yolks for objectively better-tasting foods. Why would you eat a dippy egg yolk when you can use that yolk for crème brulee? Or custard? Or even French toast?

And if you’re not feeling creative in the kitchen, there are still multiple ways to cook an egg that don’t involve a slimy yolk. Try scrambled eggs, omelets, souffles, or even egg-drop soup.

A cooked yolk is the best route for properly consuming eggs, or else you will fall into a regretful pattern of trying to convince yourself that runny egg yolks are appetizing. I also hope that the amount of times I’ve used the phrase “runny egg yolk” has made you uncomfortable enough to momentarily consider cooking the yolk this Easter.

Hannah Cote is a sophomore studying English. She is an assistant editor for The Collegian.