Back­grounds for the Lent and Easter season in the Church

If you attended class the morning of Good Friday, you probably noticed you were in the minority. With the college shutting down at noon, many pro­fessors chose to cancel morning classes. Even if they didn’t, many stu­dents still skipped class to catch flights home to be with their fam­ilies for Easter weekend. Campus had an eerily quiet feeling as the morning pro­gressed, as the people who did show up quickly left after class to drive home or go to reli­gious services.

The lack of atten­dance to morning classes begs the question: Should there be class on Good Friday at all? 

There are two main factors to con­sider: the meaning of Good Friday itself and the reality of stu­dents trav­eling home to spend Easter weekend with family.

Hillsdale College is a Christian college, and for Chris­tians, Good Friday is the most solemn day of the year. The com­mem­o­ration of Jesus’ death by cru­ci­fixion is remem­bered by Chris­tians around the world. 

While the hours of 12:00 – 3:00 p.m. are cer­tainly the most solemn, the morning hours are still a time of mourning, remem­brance, and prepa­ration for Easter Sunday. One could only imagine the outrage if Christmas or Thanks­giving were given a mere half day. If no other hol­idays are cel­e­brated for half a day, why should Good Friday — a holy day in the truest sense of the word — be treated any differently? 

From a purely prac­tical stand­point, having classes on Good Friday is unfair to stu­dents and incon­ve­nient for pro­fessors. Why should stu­dents who just happen to have morning classes have to have a school day, while those with afternoon classes can take off? Why should pro­fessors who have iden­tical classes in the morning and afternoon have to rearrange their teaching schedules to account for only afternoon ses­sions being canceled? 

Of course, Hillsdale College isn’t just about prac­ti­cality. The college’s goal is to pursue the good, the true, and the beau­tiful. And, for Chris­tians, nothing defines those ideals more than our redemption through Christ’s sacrifice.

Maggie Hroncich is a sophomore studying pol­itics. She is an assistant editor for The Collegian.