Fate of Festival Days and The Most Popular Fair on Earth hang in the balance in light of Riverfest cancellation

Home City News Fate of Festival Days and The Most Popular Fair on Earth hang in the balance in light of Riverfest cancellation
Fate of Festival Days and The Most Popular Fair on Earth  hang in the balance in light of Riverfest cancellation
Current COVID-19 restrictions limit outdoor gatherings to 1,000 people or less. Courtesy | Hillsdale County Fair

With the cancellation of Jonesville’s Riverfest over COVID-19 concerns two weeks ago, the fate of other local fairs hangs in the balance. 

On March 17, the Jonesville City Council denied the request for a 2021 Riverfest. Other annual events such as Festival Days and The Most Popular Fair on Earth might also be canceled.

Both Reading’s Festival Days and Hillsdale’s Most Popular Fair on Earth were canceled in 2020 as a result of the coronavirus shutdowns. This year, however, both organizations are hoping for a resurrection. 

Both Reading Chamber of Commerce President Jeffery Caldwell and board member Randy Ewing said there are reservations in making the decision to resume. 

Caldwell said the mask and social-distancing requirements present an issue because there’s “no way we can enforce” them. Any choices to follow the safety regulations would be up to the individuals in attendance. 

“We usually do the truck pulls,” Ewing said. “But you’re talking about 1,500 people stuck together in the stands, and I don’t think that will be allowed by then.”

There will be a meeting held in the next few weeks to further discuss the plans for the event, but the ever-changing state restrictions will make any of the board’s decisions subject to change. 

“It’s kind of up in the air right now,” Ewing said. “I don’t think we’ll have made a decision by then.”

The Most Popular Fair on Earth is facing a similar unpredictability in its organization. Hillsdale County Fairgrounds Manager, Lori Hull, is remaining cautiously optimistic despite the obstacles posed by the state. 

“Currently, outdoor amusement venues can have 1,000 people,” Hull said. “With a paid attendance of 40,000 plus each year, that limitation is a long way from having a full fair. At this time, we really don’t have much information from the State as to what will be allowed.”

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services capacity limits for non-residential outdoor gatherings at an arena or outdoor stadium are set at 1,000 people or less. Although this ruling is only effective through April 19, and the event coordinators are hopeful that this number will increase between now and the late summer months. 

“We are certainly mindful of COVID as we consider what our fair will look like in the fall,” Hull said. “We are hopeful that limitations will continue to loosen over the course of the next five months so that we can be open and running with regular events.”

For updates on either of these events, check the “Hillsdale County Fair” or “Reading Michigan Chamber of Commerce” Facebook pages.