Vol­un­teers from the Day of Service in 2020. Courtesy | Collegian

Day of Service is returning to campus for its second year on Sat­urday, April 12, after it was can­celed due to COVID-19 last year. The event will begin at 10 a.m. when teams will meet on the quad before getting to work. The service event will end at 1 p.m.

Day of Service “is a time for Hillsdale College Stu­dents to come together as a com­munity and give back to Hillsdale County by par­tic­i­pating in a wide variety of service projects all around town,” said GOAL Coor­di­nator Maya Kaniaupio.

Kani­aupio said that the service projects will be like many of the college’s 23 GOAL pro­grams, which includes pro­grams that assist local churches and other orga­ni­za­tions in the sur­rounding Hillsdale County area.

When the GOAL program held the event in 2019, service activ­ities included cleaning the Baw Beese trail, blanket-making for Domestic Harmony, and window-washing at the hospice center. Kani­aupio said she antic­i­pates par­tic­i­pation from Greek orga­ni­za­tions, sports teams, campus clubs, and more.

GOAL Director and senior Michaela Peine said that anyone on campus can par­tic­ipate in Day of Service, as long as they sign up with a team. Indi­viduals must scan the QR code the Day of Service posters hung around campus. Teams should choose a team leader who will be in contact with the GOAL office, which will assign them a project.

Senior Lacey Burke par­tic­i­pated in the first Day of Service in the spring of 2019. She said Day of Service was an important event for Hillsdale students.

“Hillsdale College plays such a central role in the activity of the city, but stu­dents don’t really get outside the ‘Hillsdale bubble’ and connect with com­munity members much,” Burke said. “It was really good to work with other stu­dents to connect with and serve the com­munity to make some changes for the better.”