The Public Service Department makes a con­sistent effort to provide vol­un­teering oppor­tu­nities to members of the com­munity throughout the changing seasons. Claire Gaudet | Collegian

The City of Hillsdale Public Ser­vices team has orches­trated events throughout early April in an effort to clean the local area of brush and litter. On April 5, they con­ducted a com­munity-wide brush col­lection in which res­i­dents were encouraged to leave any brush they had gathered out for curbside pickup at 7 a.m. On April 10, Modern Waste Systems con­ducted a similar event, asking for yard waste as opposed to brush. 

These events and others like them are run through Hillsdale Public Ser­vices, specif­i­cally through Foreman Jason Blake. He was also recently involved in a brush col­lection for Mrs. Stock’s Park and was accom­panied by a team of vol­un­teers. He said he is happy with the work they com­pleted, but rec­og­nizes that there’s more to be done. 

“We had some luck with a couple of spots,” Blake said. “We were expecting a bigger group, but we did get some good things done.”

Although there weren’t many vol­un­teers, the ones who came made it pos­sible to conduct the clean-up ser­vices, Director of Public Ser­vices Jake Hammel said.

“I think we had probably 15 to 18 vol­un­teers,” Hammel said. “Some came and weren’t here very long, or got real­lo­cated. It really depends on the moment.”

Despite the rel­a­tively low number of par­tic­i­pants, the team accom­plished a lot in a short amount of time. 

“The clean-up from Stock’s Park pro­duced seven cubic yards of brush, which is quite sub­stantial,” Blake said. “There was also three or four yards of trash, which is a small dump truck’s load. Overall, it was about three dump truck’s loads of sticks and one of trash.”

The Public Service Department makes a con­sistent effort to provide vol­un­teering oppor­tu­nities to members of the com­munity throughout the changing seasons. That’s why they make a con­sistent effort to provide vol­un­teering oppor­tu­nities to the members of the community. 

“We actually do things like this pretty much throughout the year,” Hammel said. “We keep a list of things we could use help with: cleaning, painting, raking, shov­eling, or even simple things like picking up sticks in the cemetery.”

In fact, there are more projects to be taken care of before summer begins. 

“We’re looking to find a group to help paint picnic tables, which would be done in the parks,” Blake said. “If folks are inter­ested we could use their help in painting about 40 of them for the time being. One of those time-con­suming projects where many hands make light work.”

Any inter­ested indi­vidual or group should contact the Public Ser­vices Department at (517) 437‑6490 for more information.