Freshman Brian Hackman plays at home earlier last season. (S. Nathaniel Grime | Collegian)

The Hillsdale College men’s tennis team fin­ished 1 – 1 this weekend, losing to Indiana Tech Uni­versity  4 – 3 on Friday before sweeping Ken­tucky Wes­leyan Uni­versity 7 – 0 on Sat­urday, March 27.

The Chargers dropped the doubles point against Indiana Tech, losing nar­rowly in No. 1 and No. 3 doubles 7 – 6 (7 – 4) in both. Freshman Brennan Cim­peanu and senior Gabe Katz won at No. 2 doubles 6 – 3.

“We have to find a way to get the doubles point,” head coach Keith Turner said. “We can’t keep relying on our singles lineup to win four matches against the stronger teams.”

In singles, the Chargers went 3 – 3. Sophomore Tyler Conrad won at No. 1 singles 6 – 2, 7 – 6 (7 – 4), and Cim­peanu at No. 2 singles won 6 – 4, 6 – 1. Freshman Sean Barstow grabbed the last singles win 6 – 3, 2 – 6, 6 – 1. 

“Conrad has been the biggest sur­prise this year,” Turner said. “I thought putting him at the No. 1 singles spot could be tough for him but he’s handled it very well.  I’m very pleased with his 7 – 4 record at that spot.”

The Chargers doubles teams bounced back on Sat­urday against Ken­tucky Wes­leyan, with Conrad and Barstow winning 6 – 2 and Cim­peanu and Katz winning 6 – 0. 

The Chargers won all four singles matches to secure the win, with all four players winning in straight sets. Conrad won 6 – 1, 6 – 4, and Cim­peanu won 6 – 1, 6 – 0. Barstow and freshman Daniel Gilbert got the last two wins, winning 6 – 0, 6 – 0 and 6 – 0, 6 – 1. 

“Con­sid­ering this is my first college season, it was nice getting to play a team that is com­peting for the GMAC title,” Cim­peanu said.

Cim­peanu said there have been many fun mem­ories with the team.

“One that I hope will con­tinue is spending time with one another at dinner time each day and playing some games after­wards,” Cim­peanu said. “It is always fun to bond with the guys and get closer as a team.”

The match against Ken­tucky Wes­leyan began the G‑MAC play for the Chargers, who will compete on the road against Cedarville Uni­versity on Sat­urday, April 3 at 11 a.m. 

“The key to winning the Cedarville match will be how we handle the outdoor con­di­tions,” Turner said. “We will have only had a couple of outdoor prac­tices before that match.”