Chargers top Wesleyan

Home Sports Homepage - Sports Chargers top Wesleyan
Chargers top Wesleyan
Sarah Hackman (left) and Hannah Cimpeanu (right) play at home earlier this season. (Ryan Goff | Collegian)

The Chargers snapped a three-match slump with a dominant 7-0 win Saturday against Kentucky Wesleyan University in their G-MAC opener.

The Chargers are now 1-0 in the conference, extending their undefeated streak since joining the G-MAC two seasons ago.

The Chargers dropped just four games throughout singles and doubles play, winning all but two sets 6-0.

“It was a strong showing for the team,” head coach Nikki Walbright said. “They did their job quickly and had minimal errors.” 

Several Chargers had big games in singles play. Sophomore Canela Luna lengthened her unbeaten singles streak this season without dropping a game on the second court.

“Being consistent and placing the ball well was what worked well for this match,” Luna said. “The strongest part of my game overall was staying mentally focused.”

Junior Tatum Matthews won her singles match 6-2, 6-0, which she said was a result of getting ball placement just right.

“Going into singles we knew that this would not be one of our hardest matches so we had to stick to our game,” Matthews said. “Everyone executed the points well. Ball placement was the most important part of the matches, everyone was very smart with their shots.”

The Chargers crucially shook off a three-game doubles slump and won on all three courts to take the doubles point. 

“It was a good day for doubles,” Walbright said. “We were able to practice things we have been working on like closing out at the net.”

Senior Hannah Cimpeanu matched up with Luna to win No. 1 doubles 6-0. Sophomore Ellie Chawner and freshman Helena Formentin did the same on the second court. Junior Sophia Spinazze and Mattews joined together on the third court to take their set 6-2.

“It was fun to play with someone new,” Matthews said.

The Chargers turn around this week to play Cedarville University on April 3. They will travel to Findlay University the next weekend before hosting Tiffin University and Walsh University back to back to close out the spring season.

“I’m excited for the rest of the season,” Luna said, “I think we have a lot to work on but I think we could do something great.”