The Hillsdale College Chargers play in their Blue-White scrimmage on Sat­urday, Nov. 14 (Courtesy | Hillsdale Athletics)

After two can­celed games in the last two weeks, the Hillsdale College Chargers are scheduled to play Tiffin Uni­versity on Sat­urday, April 3. Kick-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. at the Frank “Muddy” Waters stadium.

Sophomore quar­terback Luke Keller said his focus for the game against Tiffin is exe­cuting the game plan. 

“I made a few mis­takes based on dif­ferent sit­u­a­tions in the Findlay game, so I addressed those and fixed them for when they come up next,” Keller said. “My quar­terback coach, Brad Otterbein, and I have con­tinued to work on footwork and mechanics to keep devel­oping fun­da­men­tally and take advantage of every passing oppor­tunity. I’m excited for another oppor­tunity to play this week.” 

Tiffin is the defending G‑MAC champion from 2019, and has won its first two games against Walsh Uni­versity and Gannon Uni­versity. Tiffin quar­terback Nick Watson, the 2019 G‑MAC Offensive Player of the Year, cur­rently leads the league in passing yards with 535. Keller ranks second with 206 passing yards with half as many games played as Watson. 

Despite only playing one game so far this season, com­pared to most teams who have played at least twice, Hillsdale’s offense cur­rently ranks third, with Tiffin in second and the Uni­versity of Findlay in first. 

Junior defensive lineman Nate Chambers said it’s a blessing to be able to play. 

“It hasn’t worked out exactly how we’ve wanted it to turn out with all the games can­celled,” Chambers said. “But the oppor­tunity that we might be able to play is still very special con­sid­ering how many schools have just opted not to play at all.”

Keller said the goal against Tiffin is a win. 

“Everyone has to do their job and we have to play as a team. The offense will pick up the defense and the defense will pick up the offense,” Keller said. “Whatever it takes, I know we’re all just extremely grateful and excited to get the chance to play. We’re all going to give it every­thing we have and I’m con­fident we have the ability to beat Tiffin.”

After the Chargers won the G‑MAC title in 2018,  Tiffin beat them 35 – 24, in 2019. The rivalry con­tinues as Tiffin and Hillsdale sit in the No. 3 and No. 4 posi­tions in the con­ference standings, respectively.