Junior Ben Weeks, Senior James Friedl, and Senior Michelle Bara eat chili during Taste of Manning three years ago. Madeleine Fry | Collegian

For the first time in two years, the Student Activity Board’s “Taste of Manning” is happening. 

This Sat­urday, March 27, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., stu­dents can tour the houses all along Manning St. while enjoying food made by the res­i­dents of each house. The cuisine is meant to rep­resent the people in the houses. Then, stu­dents can vote for their favorite. 

“We are so excited for Taste of Manning,” SAB Big Events Leader Luciya Katcher said. “I remember looking forward to it my freshman year and it was can­celed because of bad weather. We tried to bring it back again last year but COVID had other plans. But you know what they say: Third time’s a charm.”

Student musi­cians will perform live music during the event and SAB will provide lawn games and Checker Records coffee while stu­dents dine. Par­tic­i­pating houses have a budget of $100, sup­plied by SAB, to create their custom dish. No alcohol is allowed at the event and foods con­taining nuts will be marked for stu­dents with allergies.

Senior Rebecca Joyce, a res­ident of the off-campus house Graceland, attended the event as a freshman but now as a senior gets to fulfill her dream of par­tic­i­pating in the event. 

“We will do bite sized grilled cheeses, because all of us love grilled cheese, and we make it often in the house,” Joyce said. “Then, because we are named after the official res­i­dence of the late Elvis Presley’s Graceland, we, in his honor, are going to make his favorite sandwich: grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwich with bananas and maybe bacon.”

Overall, Joyce said she is excited for the event which she remembers being “like a block party.”

“I’m excited just to see people. I want people to see why we love our house so much,” Joyce said. “But also we get to be hosts, I hope to help people enjoy what we feed them. I am looking forward to spending the day with my friends.”

Join SAB for this street-market style event on Sat­urday — and bring your appetite.