Conference play to begin after Spring Break road trip

Home Sports Homepage - Sports Conference play to begin after Spring Break road trip
Junior outfielder Reagan Gensiejewski of the Hillsdale College Softball Team. Courtesy | Camryn Olson

After going 6-3 during a week-long road trip, the Hillsdale College softball team will play its first conference game against Lake Erie College this Saturday at 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. in Painesville, Ohio. 

Head coach Kyle Gross said this year’s spring break trip was the highest quality he had seen at Hillsdale. 

“Our pitching was great, our hitting really came alive and our power started to show,” Gross said. “The biggest difference is we’re playing better now than we have at this point in years past.”

Gross explained that previously, the softball team had a habit of waiting until their conference games to find a rhythm and begin playing well. 

“My first year coaching at Hillsdale, we didn’t play well on spring break, and then we got to conference and won the whole thing,” Gross said. “And last year, again, right before COVID hit, I felt that we were playing well right at the end of our spring break. So this year, we’re just playing better earlier.”

Senior catcher Madison Stoner said that the team was able to achieve their consistency through their increased focus this past week. 

“We started pretty slowly in our first two games and we realized that we needed to step it up,” Stoner said. “We wanted to do well during our spring break trip, but we also wanted to reach that consistency that we had been talking about this whole season.”

Gross described how the team’s ability to find their rhythm was evident through outstanding  performances from their pitching staff and the offensive showcase of power this last weekend. Junior outfielder Renee Bielawa hit two home runs this week, marking the first home run in her collegiate career. 

“In my at bat, I was just doing my normal routine with the hope of getting a base hit,” Bielawa said. “But after I hit the ball, the fielders just stopped going after it, and it turns out it floated over the fence. I saw Coach Kyle with a super big smile on his face when I was rounding third and I was super excited.” 

Stoner said that the team’s success this weekend gave players the confidence and encouragement they need going into their first conference game this weekend. 

“We came out of spring break feeling tired, but very refreshed. Seeing how we performed this week gave us a very positive outlook towards conference games,” Stoner said. “We have some tough opponents, but especially after losing last year’s season, we’re just very excited to jump back in.”

Coach Gross said the team is working on maintaining their momentum and energy as they prepare for their game these next few days.

“We’re trying to keep the intensity, we’re not changing much of what we do,” Gross said. “We refer to conference play as a whole new season. Records don’t matter, you have to bring your A game every time.” 

Despite preparation for conference opponents, Gross said that cancellations due to COVID-19 will be one of the team’s biggest hurdles this season. The Chargers were supposed to have their season opener at home this weekend, but had to reschedule with their opponent. Regardless of these conflicts and changes, Stoner said the team is simply grateful to play. 

“Getting to play each time is a blessing. So I think regardless of where, when, or even how we play, I’m grateful for it each day,” Stoner said. “While it may be absolutely crazy with COVID, having games canceled and rescheduled, each time I get to play is a blessing, especially as a senior. I’m so thankful.”