We have all craved El Cerrito, Saucy Dogs, and Burgers Unlocked during the long dark winter of our dis­content. We have com­plained about eating Bon Appetit stir fry instead of fancy restaurant del­i­cacies. Now that restau­rants have reopened for indoor dining after 10 weeks of culinary darkness, it is our duty to put our money where our mouth is, lit­erally, and fre­quent the heck out of them. 

The most recent dine-in ban ran from Nov. 18 to Feb. 1, benching local eateries from seating patrons inside during one of their busiest seasons. Now, they have to make up their losses, but face con­tinuing restric­tions including a six-per-table limit, mandatory masking, and, most dam­aging, oper­ation at 25% capacity. 

This last restriction means that some restau­rants will not even be able to recoup their oper­a­tional losses during a single day. For stu­dents, this means we should go to restau­rants, go fre­quently, and even make an effort to eat during off hours. Fill the booth and tables when they ordi­narily would be empty. Ulti­mately, we need to try to render 25% as prof­itable as pos­sible for small restaurant owners. 

It is important for this college full of polit­i­cally-minded stu­dents — who often express outrage at their governor’s author­i­tarian audacity — to remember that political actions merit and accom­plish far more than political words. Instead of tweeting your outrage, go down to Span­glers or the Hunt Club around 3 p.m., and help prevent the tragic outcome of a tragic situation. 

It is cer­tainly easier to eat in the dining hall. It is both “free” and con­ve­nient. But, remember: if you don’t patronize these busi­nesses, then don’t expect them to be in business when you do feel like tucking into a burrito