Team battles despite loss

Home Sports Homepage - Sports Team battles despite loss
Team battles despite loss
The women’s basketball team practices and prepares for its upcoming season.

The Hillsdale College women’s basketball team suffered a 72-68 loss against Findlay on their home court on Saturday, Feb. 6. 

Head coach Charlie Averkamp said he was proud of his players for their performance, especially in the first half of the game.

“I thought we came out really aggressive from the start,” Averkamp said. “We had the lead at halftime and that’s all we could really ask for. I’m really proud of the way the team battled.”

Averkamp said one of the most notable moments of the game for him was watching junior guard Lauren Daffenberg hit 3-pointers. 

“Our kids did an unbelievable job of sticking to the game plan,” Averkamp. “I thought the environment was great. Having fans really pushed us in the third quarter to take the lead and sadly we didn’t finish it down the stretch”

Freshman guard Dani Salenbien said despite the team’s loss, she is grateful for her teammates and the experiences playing with them.

“It didn’t go the way we wanted but I’m so thankful for the opportunity I’ve been given to play under amazing coaches, with great teammates, and with great game plans,” Salenbien said. “There are so many unknowns with COVID and so many challenges we’ve had to face but we’re taking every practice day by day and trying to take in as much as our coaches give us.”

Averkamp said he has enjoyed watching many of the players grow, including senior guard Jaycie Burger and sophomore forward Sydney Mills.

“Sydney Mills is really coming into her own as a sophomore,” Averkamp said. “She’s turned into a reliable inside-outside threat. She continues to grow and will continue, which is exciting.” 

To put their best foot forward in the upcoming games, Averkamp said the Chargers are working hard in practice to solidify their skills.

“We do a really good job of moving the ball, but if we’re careless with it we give the other team opportunities and don’t give ourselves a good chance to win,” Averkamp said.

Junior forward Anna LoMonaco said the away game against Malone University tonight will decide whether or not the team advances to the tournament. 

“We still have potential so continuing to believe in that and not be discouraged by our record is huge,” LoMonaco said. “These are very winnable games. It’s a little tough because we haven’t faced a team that isn’t beatable by us. Our record doesn’t necessarily reflect how close the games are.”

Above all, Salenbien said, the team is looking forward to competing. 

“I’m excited for the opportunity to go out there and play the game,” Salenbien said. “There’s a lot of people who have had to wait so I’m excited for the opportunity to be with my teammates.”

This week, the Chargers will compete at Malone University on Feb. 11 at 5:30 p.m., at Ohio Dominican University on Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m., and at Ursuline College on Feb. 18 at 5:30 p.m.