The Student Fed­er­ation is pre­pared to help fund Hillsdale College clubs.
STUDENT FEDERATION | COURTESY

The Student Fed­er­ation impeached its elected trea­surer and instated a new trea­surer at its meeting on Feb. 11.

Because former trea­surer and junior Frank Vitale is a part-time student this semester and was unable to attend the fed­er­ation meetings, members voted unan­i­mously to impeach him.

“We don’t like to do this, but it’s important for the fed­er­ation to fulfill our function, which is to fund clubs,” Vice Pres­ident Thomas McPhee said. “Without a trea­surer, we don’t have the finance com­mittee, so we can’t hear club funding pro­posals.”

Junior Isabella Maciejewski was nom­i­nated to and accepted the position of trea­surer. Freshman Rosemary Surdyke replaced Maciejewski as an inde­pendent rep­re­sen­tative.

Freshmen Helen Schlueter and Liam Giles were also sworn in as inde­pendent rep­re­sen­ta­tives.

In addition to the impeachment, the fed­er­ation also dis­cussed two events it is hosting that will be open to campus.

On Feb. 18 at 4 p.m. in the Formal Lounge, fed­er­ation officers will host a funding pro­posal workshop.

“In the past, it might have been dif­ficult or con­fusing for clubs to come to the fed­er­ation for money,” Pres­ident Brandt Siegfried said. “So, we wanted to host this workshop for club leaders and other inter­ested stu­dents to come learn about the process to earn funds for their clubs.”

The fed­er­ation has a budget of $34,648 available to give to clubs this semester. This money includes the accounts payable and money returned to the fed­er­ation from Hillsdale College for Life, since the March for Life trip was can­celed.

On March 4 at 7 p.m., the fed­er­ation will also host a town hall-style meeting where the student body will be invited to come and ask ques­tions of fed­er­ation officers. There will be a formal portion in which stu­dents can ask ques­tions of the fed­er­ation at large. Afterward, stu­dents can meet with indi­vidual rep­re­sen­ta­tives.