Vic­toria Mar­shall is a senior studying pol­itics and jour­nalism. (Vic­toria Marshall/Collegian)

Like many Hillsdale College stu­dents, Senior Vic­toria Mar­shall found out about the college from her parents lis­tening to talk radio, but she felt hes­itant going to a college that both of her parents hoped she would attend. After doing some research, however, Mar­shall said she was drawn to the rich liberal arts cur­riculum Hillsdale offers and has since fallen in love with the com­munity she’s found. 

“Hillsdale is a com­munity,” Mar­shall said. “It sets out to be a com­munity, and it sets out to be a part­nership. I think it also is heavily influ­enced by Chris­tianity, so you really see the love of Christ here.” 

Prior to attending Hillsdale, Mar­shall spent time at Cal­i­fornia State Com­munity College where she had a dif­ferent edu­ca­tional expe­rience. Even though Mar­shall said she had won­derful pro­fessors in Cal­i­fornia, she lacked a sense of com­munity with the entire school. 

Since coming to Hillsdale, Mar­shall has been able to find com­munity in every corner of campus. 

“Hillsdale is dif­ferent, and everyone who goes to Hillsdale knows that it’s dif­ferent; we bond over that,” Mar­shall said. “Whereas at com­munity college, it was very much a com­muter campus, and there was no com­munity. That’s just the nature of com­munity college. I had 27,000 people at my com­munity college, com­pared to 1,500 here.” 

Over the past two years, Mar­shall has come to be part of and par­tic­u­larly enjoy the off-campus com­munity of Hillsdale, some­thing she con­siders “a hidden gem.” In the time she’s spent living with other stu­dents in an off-campus house, Mar­shall said she’s learned valuable lessons in devel­oping com­munity as an adult without the assis­tance of the college or res­ident assis­tants. 

“Living in an old house and sharing it with other stu­dents is beau­tiful,” Mar­shall said. “You can make it into a little home. It’s very eclectic because there’s mis­matched fur­niture, but you can make those little houses very cozy.” 

Mar­shall said she enjoys having friends over, but she also likes “house-hopping” to see how other stu­dents dec­orate their homes. 

In addition to the off-campus com­munity, Mar­shall found herself a home among other jour­nalism stu­dents after writing a couple of stories. When she wrote her first story about Waterman’s weekly tea, Mar­shall found it exciting to have a tan­gible repro­duction of her writing and felt encouraged by Col­legian staff to con­tinue writing. 

“I really liked that high of having my name in print every single week, and I started getting to know the people in the jour­nalism program,” Mar­shall said. “They became my closest friends.” 

After being a reporter and moving to assistant news editor, Mar­shall now serves as the editor for the science and tech page. Since her first article, Mar­shall said she has developed her skills as a writer and found her voice through jour­nalism intern­ships and the Col­legian. 

“I remember Mr. Miller and Mrs. Servold always talked about a writer’s voice, and I would think, ‘I don’t have that. How am I going to get that?’” Mar­shall asked. “But now, I feel like I’ve really developed that.” 

Mar­shall said her favorite part of being an editor is being able to col­lab­orate with her peers on making a product and com­mu­ni­cating her ideas about current events. As en editor, Mar­shall said she expe­ri­ences the rewards and the chal­lenges of working with dif­ferent writers. 

“What’s chal­lenging is getting the writers to see your vision for the story and to deliver,” Mar­shall said. “What’s really rewarding is when a writer does it well and makes the story better than what you orig­i­nally con­cep­tu­alized.” 

Mar­shall said she looks forward to using the cre­ative control she has over her section to come up with inter­esting story ideas during a time when the topics of science and tech­nology fre­quently appear in the news. 

“I think it’s really fun to hear what faculty have to say about certain things, whether it’s COVID-19 or TikTok,” Mar­shall said. “I think it’s fun to hear what stu­dents have to say, but I also want the writer to be cre­ative as well.” 

With plans to graduate this May, Mar­shall said she is still fig­uring out her post-graduate plans. Cur­rently, she is applying for writing fel­low­ships at con­ser­v­ative pub­li­ca­tions with the hope of one day working for an edi­torial page. 

“The Wall Street Journal would be cool, but that’s very ambi­tious, so we will see,” Mar­shall said. “I would love to do some more political jour­nalism on the opinion side. I love talking about cul­tural and political events and how they affect us.”