Junior Ben Wilson is studying pol­itics and jour­nalism (Ben Willson/Collegian)

When junior Ben Wilson refused to eat a ham­burger at the age of 5, he didn’t know he was embarking on a chal­lenge that would persist into his ‘20s. In real­izing he had never eaten a ham­burger, he dared himself to avoid eating the food for as long as pos­sible. 

He has now still never eaten the common American meal.

Whether it’s with his diet or his pol­itics, Wilson has a history of sticking to his prin­ciples. When not editing the City News section of The Col­legian, the con­ser­v­ative holdout writes for “The Sara Carter Show.” His work for Carter began over the summer with writing a few stories each day. Over the course of the internship, he wrote around 120 stories in total. 

Wilson said he respects Carter and her work tremen­dously, so much so that he just recently began writing for her again, writing around six stories on weekends.

“It’s been an amazing expe­rience learning from Sara who is incredibly suc­cessful in her field and the kindest woman in D.C.”

In addition to his political writing, he also spent his first semester interning at the White House for the Trump Admin­is­tration. Through the Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program, Wilson was able to get a taste of the con­ser­v­ative movement in the nation’s capital. It proved to be his hap­piest and most mem­o­rable semester yet. One of his best mem­ories includes Pres­ident Donald Trump retweeting one of his tweets.

Now that he’s back in Hillsdale, however, Wilson said he’s happy to be in classes again. The pol­itics major and jour­nalism minor said his favorite courses have been with director of the Dow Jour­nalism Program John Miller and asso­ciate pro­fessor of pol­itics Khalil Habib. Wilson said it was his classes that cul­ti­vated his interest and appre­ci­ation for the field of jour­nalism. 

“I started to realize that the actual power in our society is within jour­nalists, and that politi­cians really have no power. They’re beholden to special interests, they’re beholden to voters, they’re beholden to all sorts of things, and that they can’t do the actual change they want to, but with the power of a jour­nalist key­board and pub­lishing some­thing, you can take down the most pow­erful people in society.”

Wilson’s dream job is owning his own media orga­ni­zation, which he said will allow him to most freely fight for his values as a Christian and a patriot. 

“I think we’re losing our country. I think it’s not too late, unlike a lot of people I think we can bring it back and I want to fight for those things. I think owning some­thing where I could do that with the help of really tal­ented people would be a very cool and ful­filling job.”