Katherine Rick wanted to be a cowgirl when she grew up.
Courtesy | Katherine Rick

What’s one trend from your childhood you wish would come back? People actually knowing how to dance. Bell bottoms. What is one word people use to describe you? Level-headed. When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a pianist. At one point I wanted to be a cowboy. What is one thing you didn’t learn until you were an adult? Adults are pretty much making it up as they go along. What is one memory from your childhood that stands out to you? I have lots of great mem­ories riding horses with my mom. We rode at a stable that was for ex-race horses in Siberia. I was about six, and it was a lot of fun.  What is one mem­o­rable gift you’ve received? Does my son count as a gift? What is one thing on your bucket list? I don’t have a bucket list, but I would love to get to a high level in dressage. What is one thing a lot of people don’t know about you? I love wood­working, fin­ishing fur­niture, and building wooden Montessori-style toys for my son. I love working with my hands. If you could spend one day in the life of any fic­tional char­acter, who would you choose? I would be Lucy from the Narnia books. If you could perform a duet with any per­former, who would you choose? My cellist, Dmitry Volkov, with whom I had the priv­ilege of per­forming on a regular basis for three years. He passed away in 2015. If you could be in the book of Guinness World Records, what would it be for? I would love to have the shortest birth ever. Who is someone you’ve always looked up to outside of imme­diate family? The person that comes to mind is my bishop, Bishop Julian Dobbs. What is one piece of advice you try to live by? Let your yes be yes and your no be no.  What is one way you hope to impact stu­dents? To expand my student’s musi­cianship skills.