‘Learning through doing’: A sweet enterprise

Home Culture ‘Learning through doing’: A sweet enterprise
Alumna Nour Ben Hmeida just opened Oea Bakery, a baklava sweets shop. Courtesy | Nour Ben Hmeida

Libyan baklava shop Oea Bakery launched online on Feb. 1, sharing Hillsdale alumna Nour Hmieida’s heart for her family’s delicious, unique pastry recipe and beloved culture. 

Oea Bakery, named thoughtfully as a reference to the ancient Phoenician city Oea, sold about 60% of the available batch on the first day. The rest sold out before the end of the week and will be restocked on Feb. 15.

The bakery’s sweet pastry is made of 40 layers of thin phyllo dough packed with almond filling and soaked in honey, cut into a diamond and topped with a roasted almond.

“It’s funny because it was kind of an accident,” Hmieida said about her new business, laughing. “It kind of wasn’t part of my plan, really.”

Her interest in business was piqued during her senior year at Hillsdale, after spending four years studying biochemistry and planning to attend medical school.

“At the very end of college, I decided to do something different,” Hmieida said. “I’ve always been really — I guess you could call it creative. I like to paint; I like typical creative outlets, so I was always really interested in something entrepreneurial.”

Hmieida felt inspired to sell her baklava more formally after requests from friends and customers for more and more of it. 

“When I saw how much demand there was and how much people wanted me to continue doing it, I was like, ‘Okay, let’s turn this into a business where people can buy this baklava whenever they want,” Hmieida said. 

When Hmieida was younger, baklava was strictly a dessert for special occasions or guests. Her mother, Nahla Sharif, first taught her how to make baklava and shared the sweet dessert with Hmieida and friends throughout their time at Hillsdale. 

The summer of 2019, Hmieida began making and selling baklava through Instagram, friends, and the Hillsdale County Farmers’ Market. Beginning to pursue entrepreneurship and starting to “learn through doing,” she reconsidered her post-grad plans and used the funds from market sales to enroll in business courses. 

Before opening Oea Bakery, Ben Hmeida sold baklava at the local Hillsdale farmers market. Courtesy | Nour Ben Hmeida

“The customers at the farmers’ market seemed to like it,” said senior Rachael Kiti, Hmieida’s roommate the summer she began selling baklava. “We sold everything that first day.”

Kiti currently serves as president of the International Club, the position Hmieida held during her time at Hillsdale. She described Hmieida as “the sweetest person you could ever talk to,” and “very humbling, very welcoming.” 

“Her culture, how she shares it, is different and unique,” Kiti said. “She could have chosen any business just to benefit, and just her choosing to cook and share the culture, I think that’s really sweet.”

Had Kiti tried the baklava? 

“Oh, yeah,” she said, smiling. “When your roommate is the one making it, you don’t question that.”

After graduation, settled in Colorado and working full-time in marketing, Hmieida decided to move from casual sales to an online bakery that restocks every two weeks. 

“I am excited to see it grow and to be sharing the recipe and the culture,” Hmieida said. “I’m hoping to incorporate more cultural stuff in the future too. I hope people enjoy them.”

Oea Bakery currently offers a “Friend’s Plate” with ten pieces as large as the palm of a hand. An order includes free shipping and a 30-day refund guarantee if not satisfied with the product. 

Sharif and Hmieida form the two-person team behind the business. Sharif makes the baklava, and Hmieida manages logistical marketing and sales. Since the bakery is an e-commerce model, it doesn’t require a storefront, and the Colorado Cottage Food Act permits them to operate out of a home rather than a commercial kitchen. 

“A big part of the mission is celebrating the culture of Libya and sharing it,” Hmieida said. “So of course we want to sell baklava, and people love the recipe, but we also wanted to share more about the country or culture, how rich it is. I thought this would be a cool way to do that.” 

The baklava recipe includes a unique ingredient brought from Libya that is similar to rose water and unavailable in the United States. Honey, as a natural preservative, keeps the pastry fresh as it travels to a customer.

“I enjoy getting the opportunity to share a small part of our culture and heritage,” Sharif said in a text. “Libya is not very well known in the west, and I’m excited to help shine a positive light on our country.”

Hmieida said she is very thankful for the support she’s received so far, and hopes to eventually incorporate philanthropic efforts into the business.

“No matter how different people and countries are, sharing unique recipes and food can be a powerful way to bring people together,” Sharif said. “I’m excited to do that with baklava!”