Madeline Breay swims during the 1000 yard freestyle on January 19. (Christian Yiu | Collegian)

The Hillsdale College swimming team main­tained an unde­feated record last Sat­urday as half of the team traveled to Ashland Uni­versity and won the dual meet 125 – 101.

The dis­tance swimmers per­formed well with Chargers taking first, second, and third in the 1650 yard freestyle. Sophomore Madison Pyhel cap­tured first with a time of 18:15.20, sophomore Sarah Clark fin­ished second in 18:19.80, and junior Anna Clark snagged third with a time of 19:04.60. 

Pyhel impressed in the 100 but­terfly, fin­ishing in a minute flat (1:00.80), and A. Clark fin­ished second with a time of 1:02.08. 

Pyhel said she was a bit appre­hensive about the 100 fly as she didn’t have much time to warm down from her last race. 

“I’m really happy with the outcome. I wasn’t expecting to go a minute flat,” Pyhel said. “Despite both relays being dis­qual­ified, we were still able to pull out with a win and could overcome the obstacles.”

The relays Pyhel referred to were the 200 medley B‑relay and the 200 freestyle A‑relay which were both dis­qual­ified for false starts, but both of the relay coun­ter­parts per­formed well. The 200 medley A‑relay, which included sophomore Leah Tunney, junior Taylor Boyle, and senior Emma Rao and Katherine Heeres, fin­ished first in 1:52.03. The 200 freestyle B‑Relay included freshman Car­oline Holmes, S. Clark, sophomore Anika Fassett, and A. Clark who fin­ished second in 1:47.59. 

Tunney had an excep­tional meet, fin­ishing first in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:58.03. Freshman Sarah Patan­iczek fol­lowed behind with a third place time of 2:03.15. Tunney also won the 100 back­stroke in a minute flat (1:00.05) with a close third place finish from Holmes (1:01.22). She went on to win G‑MAC Swimming and Diving Athlete of the Week. 

Head coach Kirner was pleased with his team’s per­for­mance. He said he wanted to get some good com­pe­tition for the team and focus and con­cen­trate on certain events. 

“I think that we had some close races and they fin­ished off those races well,” Kirner said. “There were a couple injuries so that was a battle. Some people we nor­mally depend upon were not able to step up so others had to step up in their place.”

The status of next weekend’s meet is cur­rently unde­cided as ren­o­va­tions for the host team’s facility have been delayed. Kirner said that news of the status will be released soon and he has a back-up meet planned in case the original one is canceled.