The Kirby Cen­ter’s Spring 2015 Class of stu­dents in Wash­ington, D.C. Hillsdale College | Courtesy

Hillsdale in D.C. will be hosting an infor­ma­tional session in the Formal Lounge on Sat­urday, Feb. 27 at 1 p.m. for stu­dents who may be inter­ested in applying for the Wash­ington-Hillsdale Internship Program. 

Though an art major, WHIP Coor­di­nator Jen­nifer Lessnau spent a semester in D.C. in the spring of 2019. She interned at the Museum of the Bible, where she helped pho­to­graph and cat­a­logue ancient Torah scrolls. 

“I am excited to talk about what WHIP was like for me,” Lessnau said. “WHIP was one of my favorite semesters in college.” 

Matthew Spalding, vice pres­ident of Wash­ington oper­a­tions and dean of the Van Andel Graduate School of Gov­ernment, serves as one of the pro­fessors who works at the Kirby Center, where stu­dents take classes. 

Lessnau and Spalding will give a general overview of the WHIP program. They will discuss how stu­dents can apply and share what a typical WHIP semester looks like. 

Because WHIP is a hybrid semester in which stu­dents work full-time in an internship while taking night classes, Lessnau and Spalding will give stu­dents some infor­mation on what to expect and how to prepare.

Fol­lowing the infor­ma­tional portion of the meeting, there will be a Q&A period with WHIP alumni.

Senior Tess Ens, who went on WHIP last spring, said her time interning at the Capital Research Center rein­forced her belief in the impor­tance of hard work and a great attitude. 

“CRC was an amazing place to work,” Ens said. “The people I worked with are incredibly smart, driven, and ded­i­cated to advancing the same set of values that I am ded­i­cated to.”

Lessnau said WHIP pro­vides real job and pro­fes­sional expe­rience for anyone, regardless of any intended or declared major or minor. She encourages stu­dents of any interest to come check out the meeting, as it could be a vital asset to add to their college experience.