Freshman Track and Field
athlete Jamahl Burke. Courtesy | Jamahl Burke

Freshman Jamahl Burke recently received the Greater Midwest Ath­letic Con­ference award and was named the G‑MAC Athlete of the Week in track and field for the week of Feb. 15. The recog­nition came after he received the second fastest time in the con­ference in the 400m race on Friday Feb. 12. 

This would be an impressive feat for any athlete, but it’s par­tic­u­larly note­worthy for Burke, who has only been with the program for a semester. 

Head Track Coach Andrew Towne has been working with Burke throughout the year and said he couldn’t be more proud of his recent victory. 

“Jamahl has been great to work with,” Towne said. “His future is very bright.”

Burke’s ath­letic family aren’t the only ones excited about his award. A member of Gallway Res­i­dence, Burke’s dorm com­munity has also expressed their support for him. 

Gal­loway House Mom JoAnn Arendt praised his focus.

“Jamahl’s a good student,” Arendt said. “It’s good to have him in the dorm. He’s very focused on what he has to do and I love to cheer him on.” 

Despite the acco­lades, Burke said he already has his eyes on the next goal.

“I was aiming for a lot faster,” Burke said. “But it was a bit rewarding to know that your efforts are paying off. The whole thing brought me back to earth, and I’m reminded to cel­e­brate the small victories.” 

Burke said he is thankful for the work of those around him and feels proud to have earned this dis­tinction on their behalf.

“I’d like to thank Coach Andrew Towne — he’s the one who has me in shape for the 400 — and all my team­mates who keep encour­aging me,” Burke said.