Art students’ pieces accepted into gallery

Home News Art students’ pieces accepted into gallery
Caroline Greb with her collage, which has been accepted by the EMU Gallery.
Courtesy | Caroline Greb

Eastern Michigan University Gallery has accepted art pieces from Hillsdale College seniors Caroline Greb and Heidi Yacoubian. 

Greb submitted a collage, which is a composition of materials and objects pasted over a surface, to a gallery held by Eastern Michigan University open to undergraduates in the Midwest. 

“I thought my chances were very low,” Greb laughed. “I haven’t done a lot with collage.” 

She also submitted a watercolor to the magazine PleinAir Salon. She got into both.  

“I’m really humbled to be recognized in those ways,” she said. “To be recognized for the hours of work that students put into the studio is really rewarding.” 

According to Greb, the EMU gallery usually accepts pieces that are more modern, which is not how Hillsdale students are trained. 

“The style of art they chose is very different from what we do here at Hillsdale,” she said. “We’re very classically trained. It was interesting to see the winners that they chose because they had pieces that were very different from the realism emphasized here. That’s why it was more shocking for me to get it at all.” 

Senior Heidi Yacoubian had three pieces, more in the classic style, that were accepted into the same gallery at EMU. 

“This is a big honor,” Yacoubian said. “I’m glad that it’s a way to show support for the Hillsdale faculty because they really deserve their credit in the art department for all the work that they’ve poured into us. This is just a further reflection of that.” 

Greb’s love for creating goes back to freshman year with Assistant Professor of Art Julio Suarez.

“Back when I was a freshman in a drawing class with Suarez, we were learning about negative space. I remember learning about that in class, and I looked up at Central Hall. My eyes totally changed and I saw it totally differently,” Greb said, referring to the space around an object. “I love working in a medium that helps me to see the world better. Looking at something and then realizing I’m not actually looking at something. That process of having to slow down and think about what I’m seeing helped me to make better art, see people differently, and create a home.”

Greb said that with the encouragement of these galleries, she plans to continue art after graduation. 

“Right now it’s been really fun because all of this semester is geared towards that,” she said. “I’m really only in art classes. I’m painting every day.” 

Greb’s husband, Ethan, said he has seen his wife grow in maturity and skill in the last few months.

“In our apartment, we have a studio that she painted and did watercolor in all of last fall, so I get to witness her painting at our home,” he  said. “It’s been really cool to see even in the last few months, her painting style mature and her technique grow. It’s amazing to see her creative eye so clearly, not only in painting, drawing, collage, but also in creating our physical home with decorating.” 

Seeing his wife’s hard work pay off was a moment of pride for him. 

“It was so exciting because I’ve seen all the work that she’s put into her art classes and the time outside of class. I’ve seen her grow as an artist and as a person,” Ethan said. “I’m really proud of her.” 

Chairwoman and Professor of Art Barbara Bushey, who has had both Yacoubian and Greb in her classes, said the two show dedication and drive. 

“I was delighted, but not surprised, to hear that both of them were accepted, as they are both very talented and hard-working,” Bushey said in an email. “Both of them clearly follow the edicts of Michelangelo, who said, ‘If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all.’ They also both understand the importance of getting your work out there, and for that, I particularly celebrate them.” 

Greb and Yacoubian will be hosting their galleries from April 14 to 16.