Wiki­media Commons

Looming in the near future is a day of over­sized teddy bears, corn syrup, and high expec­ta­tions for the perfect date.

Trying to come up with a plan for Valentine’s day for your special someone can be a daunting task. 

“I feel a lot of pressure for Valentine’s day because it is a set date on the cal­endar, rather than a spon­ta­neous spur of the moment adventure,” said freshman Holly Stover.

If you are lacking inspi­ration, don’t just give up and take your date to SAGA. Use one of these top ten date ideas to ensure your Valentine feels like she got hit by Cupid. 

1. If you are looking for a nice dinner, Olivia’s Chop House in Jonesville is a classic date spot for Hillsdale stu­dents. This Sunday they are open from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. If this is the spot for you, look into getting a reser­vation. Their romantic atmos­phere creates for a perfect night. Get some of their fried moz­zarella sticks or prime rib (but only if you want to spend your entire pay­check from your on campus job). 
  2. A more casual date idea is to head into Cold­water for some wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. You can never go wrong with wings. Try their new Orange Chicken wing sauce or their well known buffalo sauce. Either way you and your date will be full and happy with this choice. 
  3. Pick up some ice cream from AJ’s for a late night at Baw Beese with your car heater on to look up at the stars. Looking up at the stars can create a great oppor­tunity to show off to your date  every­thing you learned about the moon from your Physics 101 class.
  4. Get to know your date better at Check-Records coffee shop to warm up from the brutal Hillsdale winter. Freshman Caleb Sampson says “if you are a music afi­cionado I rec­ommend checking out the Beat 52 Latte.” It is a great place to have one-on-one con­ver­sions with the added benefit of having a good cup of coffee.
  5. After a long week of classes a night in watching movies with your date might be perfect Valentine’s day. Just make sure you account for vis­iting hours which end at 7 pm. The workload at Hillsdale can be stressful so having a chill date night can bring you even closer than the most romantic date you could dream up.
  6. You and your date could cook a homemade meal. Some easy ideas could be a pasta or taco night. Maybe you and your date want some­thing more chal­lenging like trying to make japanese bento boxes from scratch. Even if you burn every­thing it’s still a bonding expe­rience and a good excuse for Taco Bell. 
  7. Go to Walmart or the Dollar Store and pick out gifts for each other to see how well you know each other. A few things that could be on the list of things to search for could be favorite color, food, and an object that reminds you of each other. This can be a super simple and fun way to see how much you really know about your Valentine.
  8. If you are looking for some­thing a little off the beaten path you could go axe throwing in Jackson at Axe Play. Senior Max Troyke is all for this idea. “Axe throwing is a great Valentine’s Day activity. It’s fun, exciting, unique, and gritty.” This will for sure show your date you are not like the rest. 
  9. Show off the skills you learned when you were eight years old at Stadium Roller Rink. When you get tired of skating there is a con­ve­nient snack bar with all your favorite foods. While you are falling on the rink your date could be falling for you.
  10. Game night on Valentine’s Day could be a great date. Maybe find a Twister or Monopoly board to play with you special person. Another game night activity could be a trivia night to compete with your boo or make it a group date to compete against other couples. There are hun­dreds of online sources for a good night of trivia.

Whatever you end up doing be sure to per­son­alize your plans to your date to make them feel special. From little things like playing their favorite music in the car to being as extra as making them a per­sonal scav­enger hunt to find clues about what the date will be, find a way to make it unique.

And in the words of freshman Megan Draghiciu says, “Valentine’s day is more about the quality of time spent rather than the quantity of money spent.”