Pro­testors march towards the Capitol | The Roar

Political trib­alism may be reaching new heights in America in 2021, but that doesn’t mean patriots should adopt violent tactics. 

What began as a peaceful protest of the 2020 pres­i­dential election results at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 devolved into a violent demon­stration and left five Amer­icans dead last week, including a police officer. Demon­strating their belief that Pres­ident-Elect Joe Biden won the Nov. 3 election due to voter fraud, pro­testers stormed the halls of Con­gress and delayed pres­i­dential electors from affirming the elec­toral college results until the fol­lowing day. Pro­testers smashed glass doors, while author­ities drew weapons to protect the building as sen­ators, rep­re­sen­ta­tives, and staff evac­uated. 

There is a time when rev­o­lution is called for; there’s a time when, as our founders declared, men have not only a right, but a duty, to throw off a tyran­nical gov­ernment.

This was not it. Sab­o­taging our own capitol building is not an act of bravery against tyranny. Wearing a bear pelt in the speaker’s chair is no Boston Tea Party. 

While the vio­lence at the U.S. Capitol was far less than that of radical Black Lives Matter rioters this past summer, it still marked a trou­bling departure from the rea­soned dis­course of America’s political history. When we exit the ter­ritory of reason and law­fulness, we enter the state of nature, where every man is a law unto himself. Lashing out in vio­lence doesn’t help the cause of liberty; if any­thing, it hurts it. If Amer­icans want their voices to be heard, they should use words, not fists.