Social media plat­forms are yet to target Hillsdale College. Courtesy | Wiki­media commons

Hillsdale College’s social media accounts were unaf­fected by the latest Twitter purge that affected many con­ser­v­a­tives on social media. 

Social media manager Gianna Green said in an email that to her knowledge, “none of the accounts asso­ciated with the College were affected.” 

Twitter per­ma­nently banned Pres­ident Donald Trump from its social media platform stating “the glo­ri­fi­cation of vio­lence that could inspire others to replicate violent acts and deter­mined that they were highly likely to encourage and inspire people to replicate the criminal acts that took place at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.” After the ban, several prominent con­ser­v­ative com­men­tators on Twitter noticed they were losing massive amounts of fol­lowers. One user reported that he lost 30,000 fol­lowers in the course of four hours. 

Actor James Woods claimed Twitter “deleted 15,000 fol­lowers” from his account, while Judicial Watch’s Tom Fitton said he lost 11,000. 

“Dang @jack this is a heck of a haircut of fol­lowers I’m getting. Lots of folks com­plaining as the purge seems vin­dictive and polit­i­cally moti­vated,” Fox Business host Charles Payne tweeted.

Often referred to as a “Twitter purge,” which is when pre­sumably robots and fake accounts are expunged from the platform, a Twitter spokesperson said the company reg­u­larly locks accounts due to spam policies, the Wash­ington Examiner reported. 

“As part of our work to protect the integrity of the con­ver­sation on Twitter, we reg­u­larly chal­lenge accounts to confirm account details such as email and phone number,” Twitter said in a statement to the Examiner. “Until the accounts confirm addi­tional account infor­mation, they are in a locked state and do not count towards fol­lower counts.”

Hillsdale College, however, can safely say it avoided the purge this time around. 

“I have noticed a decrease in our fol­lowers over the past few weeks, but this usually happens to bigger brands when Twitter purges their site, which happens fairly reg­u­larly,” Green said. 

Director of Digital Mar­keting Ric Tombelli reaf­firmed that none of the Hillsdale College accounts or accounts directly asso­ciated with the college were affected. Tombelli pointed out that social media com­panies reg­u­larly clean out their system, with Twitter being espe­cially prone to bot accounts.

Tombelli said he did not believe that any major accounts were affected, or that the loss of fol­lowers speaks to a purge-like action by Twitter. 

“There’s no trend,” he said. “There’s just fewer followers.”