Social media apps | Pixabay

As Twitter blew up with the news of Donald Trump’s ter­mi­nation from the app on Jan. 8, users cel­e­brated while calling for the purging of Repub­licans on social media and throughout the country. This response led me, a young Repub­lican, to feel helpless and alone. 

Where were my fellow patriots and how would we fight this wave of anger? 

Pres­ident Joe Biden allegedly received 81 million votes in the 2020 election, more than any pres­i­dential can­didate in American history. So, he shouldn’t have to censor the opinions of those who oppose him to secure his spot and power. It shouldn’t matter. 

It is obvious that the purge of right-wing views is wrong. I don’t need to tell you that. 

But Repub­licans can’t sit back and let it happen. We must resist the silencing and take a stand. 

Since the banning of Trump from Twitter — while he was still the pres­ident — numerous plat­forms such as Instagram, Facebook, and Pin­terest restricted him in some way. Even Spotify sus­pended the former president. 

Perhaps Spotify leaders think he is going to listen to “Eye of the Tiger” and get too fired up.

But now Big Tech and the liberal elitists are after you and me — everyday con­ser­v­a­tives with opinions we’d like to share. USA Today reported that con­ser­v­a­tives on Twitter have lost thou­sands of fol­lowers, while Biden and his posse have gained many fol­lowers. Other users are being banned for voicing their opinion, and accused of using rhetoric that points toward vio­lence or resistance. 

Under­mining Big Tech begins with investing in the right people grounded in Juedo-Christian values. Section 230 of the Com­mu­ni­ca­tions Decency Act of 1996 cur­rently pro­tects private social media com­panies like Facebook and Twitter from lia­bility for what their users post. However, it also allows them to remove whatever speech they want from the platform. While taking out Section 230 as a whole is more com­pli­cated, it def­i­nitely needs to be revised. Con­ser­v­a­tives may come down on dif­ferent sides in the debates about antitrust law­suits and the lia­bility exemp­tions of Section 230, but they should welcome the debate, if only to remind tech­nology com­panies that they don’t get to make their own rules. 

As just one of the mil­lions of cit­izens in the U.S., it’s easy to believe that there is not much one can do to change this lockdown of con­ser­v­ative views. The fear of those in power par­a­lyzes Americans. 

Those in charge want exactly that. They want all those who dis­agree with them to feel helpless and iso­lated. Because of this, when pol­itics are brought up in an everyday con­ver­sation, we banter and make small talk. We seem to tiptoe around what we actually believe. 

Sup­pression is not what Amer­icans stand for. Silence is unAmerican. Repub­licans of all sizes and impor­tance must say no to this purge of their opinions. Because this is just the beginning, and if they don’t, freedom as we know it will cease to exist. 

Repub­licans need to get loud. They should support their ideals in any peaceful way pos­sible. Likes, retweets, and reposting stories are a simple way to show Big Tech no matter how big they are, the American people are bigger. 

We sit quietly and allow people to assume what our political opinions are. We must chal­lenge each other to think and debate. No one wants to hear about the person who sat back and let it happen, who fol­lowed the crowd and fol­lowed the rules.

When someone tells you that the fate of our country and the cen­sorship problem is out of our control, they are lying to you. The people who believe that is true do not care enough to make a dif­ference, and thus do not deserve this country. 

You are not helpless. The country needs you. Fight back. 

Reagan Gen­siejewski is a junior studying rhetoric and public address. She is an assistant editor for the Collegian.