Deans’ office under renovation

Home News Deans’ office under renovation
Deans’ office under renovation
Pictured: Where Dean of Women Rebekah Dell’s office used to be. Kalli Dalrymple | Collegian

If you haven’t made the climb up to the third floor of Central Hall recently, you’re in for a surprise.

The third floor, home to the deans’ offices, has undergone a complete renovation over the last few months, including new walls, windows, and office spaces for everyone.

According to Associate Dean Jeffery Rogers, the space became too crowded after Associate Dean Stephanie Gravel joined the team in January. Vice President of Student Affairs Diane Philipp will remain in her current office, even after retiring from the dean of women position after 20 years. The newly-constructed offices include new office space for Gravel, as well as Dean of Women Rebekah Dell.

In what used to be Aide to the Dean of Men Rita Conrad’s waiting room, comfortable armchairs and soothing classical music now greet guests. Straight ahead, a new door leads to Gravel’s office. To the right, the wall that once separated the vice president of student affairs’ office from the deans’ offices is gone, with Assistant to the Vice President of Student Affairs Carolyn Milligan’s desk in the front, and Philipp’s and Dell’s offices just behind her.

This part of the project is complete at this point, besides a few final details, Milligan said.

“Our furniture is still not here,” Milligan said. “We are excited to get it all done.”

She noted that the furniture is due by the end of February.

Through the left entrance, towards the back, things are not quite finished. The work that remains includes installing sheetrock, carpeting, new lighting, and paint, according to the maintenance department.

This space, which was once Dell’s office, will now be Conrad’s office, Rogers said.

With the dean of men’s office and Conrad’s office currently set up in a conference room down the hall and to the left, Conrad said that she is especially excited to move into the new space. 

“It will be nice to get settled in there and get rid of all these boxes,” Conrad said.

Additionally, a small new room will be made with the remaining space to the left.

“This will be a place for students who need to take make-up exams and extra study to use,” Rogers said. “We will also be able to use it as a small conference room.”

The foyer space by the stairs outside the offices will be the new place for male students to wait, Rogers said.

Rogers and Dean of Men Aaron Petersen will each retain their old offices, but both are being renovated.

Rogers joked about the new windows recently installed in his office, which better seal off his office space than the original ones. 

“You won’t believe the number of wasps I killed over the years,” Rogers said.

In addition, Rogers said that he will appreciate the new HVAC system installed in his office, which will replace the makeshift space heater setup he previously endured.

Rogers said he thinks the project should be done in about a month.

“We are going to hold them to it,” Conrad said.