Bon Appetit phases back old favorites, introduces mobile app to order food

Home News Bon Appetit phases back old favorites, introduces mobile app to order food
Bon Appetit phases back old favorites, introduces mobile app to  order food
AJ’s Cafe, where Hillsdalians can get their favorite snacks. Courtesy | Regan Meyer

Bon Appetit Management Company is working to streamline food services and bring back items that were eliminated due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

One of the biggest changes is the introduction of the Transact Mobile Ordering app, which allows students to order from the cafeteria and A.J.’s Cafe via their phones. David Apthorpe, Bon Appetit general manager, said the app was put in place to ease student stress and shorten dining hall lines.

“The mobile ordering app, as of Friday, Jan.15, is live,” Apthorpe said. “We think this will be a great option, especially for students who have special dietary needs. With the elimination of most self-serve, we’ve really had to cook more individually for students who have special dietary needs so we think that with the mobile app we can eliminate some of the waiting in line and some of the trepidation of coming to a chef and asking for something to be gluten-free. We think we can better serve the student community through that.” 

Instructions on how to download and use the app were provided in the Student Activities Office newsletter. There is no upcharge to use the mobile ordering service. 

Other plans for the semester include the possibility of soft-serve ice cream making a comeback in the cafeteria. 

“We’re hopeful and trying to find a way to bring ice cream back in the safest manner we can through all the extraneous regulations that we have,” Apthorpe said. “We’re trying to find someone to serve it and put toppings on. It may not be an everyday thing right away, but it’s absolutely on our radar to get the soft-serve back up and running.” 

Bon Appetit is also making an effort to better serve gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian students through more meatless protein and grain options, according to Apthorpe. 

Sophomore Mason Mohon, whose diet is gluten-free, said that while there have been fewer options available this year, he has not had a problem finding food in the cafeteria. 

“Being gluten free for three years, I’ve learned to make do with the options I have in front of me and pick the option that doesn’t have gluten, so I’m used to it already,” Mohon said. “There’s plenty of meat in the cafeteria and plenty of fruits and vegetables.” 

Another change this semester is bringing back Jitters to Lane Hall. 

“We looked at the numbers,” Apthorpe said. “Jitters was the lowest frequented grab-and-go location and there was demand from students and from faculty to bring coffee back.”

Junior Ben Garfinkle is a barista at Jitters and said he is excited to be back at work. 

“I like coffee service, it’s fun, and I like the culture it builds,” Garfinkle said. “Jitters in particular, I’ve found, has had one of the most prominent cultures of the coffee shops on campus. It’s a small space so you get to have a lot of conversations with people. Being able to be in that part of people’s daily lives is super cool. There’s always something interesting customers tell me so I get to collect little tidbits of life.” 

By bringing back Jitters and increasing food items and ordering options, Apthorpe said he hopes to bring back more community-based dining. 

“Once restrictions are loosened our goal is to go back to trying to serve at the cafeteria and keep to-go options outside of the Knorr Dining Room,” Apthorpe said. “We want to bring this back to communal dining and plates and glasses as soon as we can. But obviously the rules change quickly and often without warning.”