Calli Townsend is a senior studying Sports Man­agement and jour­nalism (Hillsdale Col­legian)

Calli Townsend, sports editor for the Col­legian, said she has always loved to write. 

“In middle school I wanted to be a video maker and a hair­stylist, but once I got into high school I realized I was better at writing and I enjoyed it,” Townsend said. “I think jour­nalism is a good way to write because you get paid to tell cool stories.” 

Townsend grew up in Lex­ington, Michigan, and said she first heard about Hillsdale from her high school cross country coach. After vis­iting and hearing pro­fessor of jour­nalism John Miller and her current track coach, Coach Town, speak highly of the school, she decided she wanted to attend Hillsdale. Now, she majors in Sports Man­agement and minors in Jour­nalism.

“I orig­i­nally thought it would be way too hard,” Townsend said. “But I came and I really liked how hands on it was here. I was really looking forward to that.” 

Townsend said she knew she wanted to write for the Col­legian from the moment she set foot on campus as a freshman. She said at the freshman dinner at Broadlawn, she sought out Mr. Miller to ask how she could get involved.

“I tracked Mr. Miller down and said, “Hi, I’m Calli and I want to do jour­nalism. What should I do?” Townsend said. “He just told me to come to an assignment meeting.”

After spending her freshman year free­lance writing for the Col­legian, she became an was assistant editor of the sports section for two years before assuming her current position as sports editor. 

Townsend said her favorite part of working on Col­legian was meeting new people. 

“I really do like being in the office and hearing 8 con­ver­sa­tions going on at once,” Townsend said. “I also like how many dif­ferent people I’ve been able to meet that I wouldn’t meet on a daily basis. Having to sit down and meet with them has let me meet a lot of cool people.” love this quote!

Townsend said her favorite memory from Col­legian was when fellow sports editors Nathan Grimes and Liam Bredberg made her a birthday cake. 

“It had a ‘2’ and a baby’s first birthday candle for my 21st,” Townsend said. “They tried to paint a charger on it and it was really funny. That was a good memory.”

Her biggest piece of advice to new writers is simply to keep writing.

“I’ve always heard if you want to be a writer, then write,” Townsend said.  “The more you write, you’re going to find your voice and how you like to write. Just keep writing, whether it’s for yourself or for a little blog you make, or for the Col­legian. Just write whatever interests you and find your voice in doing that.”

Outside of Col­legian, Townsend runs on the track team, works at the contact center, and works for the ath­letic department. In her free time, she grows popcorn.

“I love doing lots of dif­ferent things with popcorn,” Townsend said. “I’ve been doing lots of samples of trying to make dif­ferent flavors, and I grew stuff this summer.”

In the future, Townsend hopes to live on a farm and work from home. 

“My dream would be owning my own online sports pub­li­cation,” Townsend said. “I would want it to be small-town, cov­ering high school sports.”