A.J.’s Cafe is over­flowing with stu­dents taking their meals to go. Class­rooms that once buzzed with activity are now empty during business hours as stu­dents stay in their rooms or the library to attend class online. 

But though the latest sweeping restric­tions announced by Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have affected the way we operate, they haven’t elim­i­nated our oppor­tunity to col­lab­orate in edu­cation. 

Hillsdale’s campus has been a vibrant place for dis­cussion in recent days, teeming with thoughts and opinions con­cerning the latest shutdown and the college’s response announced earlier this week. Many stu­dents have ques­tioned whether college can remain a part­nership in light of these changes. 

These dis­cus­sions, however, are exactly what “part­nership” means. It is within the exchange of ideas that college finds its purpose. 

Stu­dents are still actively engaging in fel­lowship and debate in A.J.’s, their dor­mi­tories, in the workout facil­ities, and the many study spaces around campus. Although class can’t be for­mally held in Lane or Kendall halls, you can still grab a friend and Zoom into class together. Go to office hours. Organize study groups. Enjoy your meals with friends around campus, while the dining hall limits guests to one-household-per-table. 

So con­tinue to talk about pol­itics, art, sports, and the hap­penings of the college. Com­munity lingers in many areas outside of the tra­di­tional class setting. 

With in-person classes moved online and in-person dining pro­hibited, it is important for stu­dents to remember that we are not alone: the faculty and admin­is­tration are also adjusting.