The Weekly: College is still a partnership

Home Opinion The Weekly: College is still a partnership

A.J.’s Cafe is overflowing with students taking their meals to go. Classrooms that once buzzed with activity are now empty during business hours as students stay in their rooms or the library to attend class online. 

But though the latest sweeping restrictions announced by Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have affected the way we operate, they haven’t eliminated our opportunity to collaborate in education. 

Hillsdale’s campus has been a vibrant place for discussion in recent days, teeming with thoughts and opinions concerning the latest shutdown and the college’s response announced earlier this week. Many students have questioned whether college can remain a partnership in light of these changes. 

These discussions, however, are exactly what “partnership” means. It is within the exchange of ideas that college finds its purpose. 

Students are still actively engaging in fellowship and debate in A.J.’s, their dormitories, in the workout facilities, and the many study spaces around campus. Although class can’t be formally held in Lane or Kendall halls, you can still grab a friend and Zoom into class together. Go to office hours. Organize study groups. Enjoy your meals with friends around campus, while the dining hall limits guests to one-household-per-table. 

So continue to talk about politics, art, sports, and the happenings of the college. Community lingers in many areas outside of the traditional class setting. 

With in-person classes moved online and in-person dining prohibited, it is important for students to remember that we are not alone: the faculty and administration are also adjusting.