John James wants Wayne County offi­cials to inves­tigate the results of the U.S. Senate election. Courtesy | Facebook

Pres­ident Donald Trump and U.S Senate can­didate John James will chal­lenge Michigan election results after both were nar­rowly defeated by their Demo­c­ratic oppo­nents last week.

After the pres­ident filed law­suits in a handful of states, including Michigan, alleging voter fraud, James started a legal defense fund to chal­lenge his own Michigan election results. 

Last week, James announced that he wanted Wayne County offi­cials to inves­tigate the results of the U.S. Senate election. The James cam­paign argues he was well ahead of his opponent, incumbent Gary Peters, before “ques­tionable” votes put Peters ahead in Wayne County, which includes Detroit. 

According to the Asso­ciated Press, Peters won the race with 49.8% to James’s 48.3% of the vote, with roughly 85,000 votes sep­a­rating the two and more than 99% of the vote reporting.

The race was much closer than polls pre­dicted. The Nov. 1 Detroit Free Press poll had Peters lead by five points on the Sunday before Election Day. Other polls, like one con­ducted by the Research Co. on Nov. 2, had Peters leading James by six points. 

In con­trast, during the 2018 U.S. Senate election, James lost to U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D‑Mich., by 6.5 points, according to the Detroit Free Press, a much larger margin than this year.

The Peters and James senate race in 2020 has been the most expensive in Michigan history, according to Mlive. The two major can­di­dates spent more than $70 million com­pared with less than $30 million spent by Stabenow and James during the 2018 election.

Senior Carl Miller said that it was unfor­tunate that James was not able to unseat Peters.

“Peters is probably the most mil­que­toast senator in the whole chamber,” Miller said. “It’s really unfor­tunate that James wasn’t able to oust such a lousy senator.” 

On Nov. 4, the Trump cam­paign filed a lawsuit, alleging that Repub­lican offi­cials were denied access to video of ballot drop boxes. 

While Court of Claims Judge Cynthia Stephens rejected this lawsuit on Nov. 10, the Trump cam­paign has filed another lawsuit in federal court in Michigan, which targets the Demo­c­ratic stronghold of Wayne County and Michigan’s Democrat Sec­retary of State, Jocelyn Benson. The lawsuit alleges that cre­den­tialed election chal­lengers were blocked from having suf­fi­cient view of the vote-counting process, chal­lenges against certain ballots were ignored and inel­i­gible ballots were tallied, according to Fox News.

The Asso­ciated Press called the pres­i­dential race in Michigan on Nov. 4, with Biden receiving 50.6% of the vote to Trump’s 47.9%, a dif­ference of almost 150,000 votes with more than 99% of votes reported.

This dif­ference was also smaller than the FiveThir­tyEight poll average that had Biden winning by almost a 6‑point margin. 

These results differ from the 2016 election when Trump sur­prised a lot of poll­sters and won Michigan by 0.23%. Trump took 47.50% of the vote that year, while  Demo­c­ratic nominee Hillary Clinton took 47.27% of the vote. 

Sophomore Thomas Curro said he thinks that these court pro­ceedings will not affect the outcome of the election.

“I don’t think Trump has a path to win in Michigan,” Curro said. “I still think that he should still see through all these legal chal­lenges before con­ceding because that’s his right, but I think it’s foolish to say that Trump is going to somehow pull through in Michigan.”

Freshman Antonio Dumnich said that he thinks people should wait for the experts before jumping to con­clu­sions about voter fraud.

“I really don’t think any­thing is going to change in Michigan,” Dumnich said. “It’s always good to get to the bottom of any voter fraud what­soever, but I think it’s way more overblown than it actually is.”

Miller says that no matter how great the margin between Trump and Biden, the courts should com­plete their inves­ti­ga­tions in the interest of free and fair elec­tions and faith in our elec­toral system.

“Credible alle­ga­tions of voter fraud need to be exposed,” Miller said. “They need to be brought to the fore­front so that Amer­icans can see what’s really going on and have con­fi­dence in the repub­lican form of gov­ernment.”

Con­ser­v­a­tives lost their 4 – 3 majority in the Michigan Supreme Court last Tuesday.

While jus­tices are tech­ni­cally non-par­tisan in their work, two Demo­c­ratic-backed jus­tices won the race for two seats on the Michigan Supreme Court.

Eliz­abeth Welch won the election against Repub­lican-backed nominee Mary Kelly, cap­turing 19.5% to Kelly’s 17.5% of the total votes, a dif­ference of almost 100,000 votes. Welch will replace con­ser­v­ative Justice Stephen Markman, who could not run again because of an age limit, according to Bridge Michigan.

Chief Justice Bridget Mary McCormack also secured her re-election to the court, winning 31.9% of the total votes cast.